Here's one for the experimenters and GM philosophers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheelman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
THESE TBI,S ARE TOTAL CRAP..PROBLEM SETUP..IF SOMETHING GETS OUT OF WACK..i have had two vehicles with this tbi crap..1992 cap rice-350 v8 the thing cranked and ran like a top.no problems ever.a lady owned it..it was all stock..

i bought this 1988 chevy.truck-305 v8 tbi.a nit wit owned and air filter tube clogged.by a squirrels nest..he had the timing.so far out..running super rich..

pulled the throttle body..base gasket gone.you could not tell by looking.or the engine running.well idling..installed a kit.in the throttle body..changed all sensors-cap and rotor-coil
plugs and plug wires.

fuel pump and relay-o2 sensor..after all that was done and money spent.it is still not 100% and it will never be.the down fall of these vehicles with TBI.is the electronics and TBI system.i could do like a lot of people

and change it over to..HEI and carb..but when this engine gets warmed up.it runs like a scalded dog.power like a big block.

i have a 1986.no computer or fuel injection.454 v8 auto.this 88 truck.is more power and faster.the 454 has edlebrock..intake and up..headers.i love the feel of the carb.and no computer..we control the vehicle not the computer.

instead of the QUIRKY TBI CRAP.chevy should of used the v8 corvette set up.i think the TBI was supposed to be.some power but all so a gas saver.my 305 v8 woke up the day.i removed the muffler and just left the cat and straight pipes.

i will never get rid.of this truck.88 chevy-305 v8-400 auto trans.no power windows.just the stock radio and dash buzzers..need to go..lol..
You must be registered for see images attach

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know you said you tested it, but it sounds to me like the EGR solenoid is opening causing your engine to die off idle. Your engine could ping under load without EGR. Try putting some 93 octane in it and see if the ping goes away.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second the O2 sensor. I just switched over to a heated O2 because of the mid-length headers I put on. The truck has never run so well. Before the O2 was changed, it ran like crap, and died on me all the time.