Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
Truck: 98 k2500 with 5.7 vortec

Was heading to class yesterday morning, truck started hard but it's cold so I didn't think anything of it. Started down the interstate with the cruise set. Then I noticed it started slowing down... gave it some gas to get back up to speed, the rpms increased but speed continued to decrease. Got to the shoulder and put it park. As soon as I did, it died. Faint burnt rubber smell. Tried starting again, turned over real slow, (like it had a low battery) have no idea what went wrong...

You must be registered for see images

sent from my Vortec powered s4

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Can't offer any advice based on that.

Did you even open the hood?

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
Can't offer any advice based on that.

Did you even open the hood?

I did but being as how we had a -20 windchill and cars weren't getting over to the left lane, I didn't look very much. When grandpa came with the trailer, he tried to start it but the battery was dead (left the flashers on)

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rpms increasing with no acceleration?

Burnt rubber smell?

Sounds to me like your transmission burnt up, pull the tranny dipstick up and see what color your fluid is, anything other then light red or pink is bad

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
Roma increasing with no acceleration?

Burnt rubber smell?

Sounds to me like your transmission burnt up, pull the tranny dipstick up and see what color your fluid is, anything other then light red or pink is bad

:eek: tranny doesn't even have 50k...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Get it home, charge the batteries and try to get it stared.

Then get a code reader and see what trouble codes are in the PCM.

Low miles on a transmission rebuild doesn't mean it's not already "fried". A poor rebuild or install can kill it in very short order.

You description was consistent with a transmission problem, but not the engine shutting down on you.

Lastly, at least putting the year of your truck in the signature line would help as guys wouldn't have to go hunting through your posts to find out you have a 98. The year has a big difference on what could have gone wrong. Engine and transmission type would also be helpful.

Hunttman01

resident sh't starter
Reaction score
Get it home, charge the batteries and try to get it stared.

Then get a code reader and see what trouble codes are in the PCM.

Low miles on a transmission rebuild doesn't mean it's not already "fried". A poor rebuild or install can kill it in very short order.

You description was consistent with a transmission problem, but not the engine shutting down on you.

Lastly, at least putting a year of your truck in the signature line would help as guys wouldn't have to go hunting through your posts to find out you have a 98. The year has a big difference on what could have gone wrong. Engine and transmission type would also be helpful.

It's at my uncles shop. I hope he got to it today... it's a 98 with 5.7 vortec and 4l80e Automatic tranny

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
With the burning smell, the battery going dead, plus losing acceleration and it died, It almost sounds like your alternator might have died. Low Battery voltage will cause the PCM to shut down. If the battery is below 9 volts while cranking it might not turn on the injectors. Once you have the battery recharged, be sure to check the charging system as well.