Hello from the soon to be frigid north.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capitlj

Reaction score
My name's Josh, I live near Thief River Falls Minnesota, and last September I bought a 99 Suburban LT with nearly 240k miles on her for $1800. It's the first Chevy I have owned, but not the first I have worked on. I'm not a mechanic but I sold parts for about 10 years and have turned wrenches on my junk and a few friends race cars. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

The Battleship, I call her that because she's big and grey, needed a few odds and ends, brake light switch to get the cruise control working again, the AC compressor was shot, the water pump was seeping a bit, one of the door lock actuators had broken it's rivets somehow, and the drivers seat cover and outside door handle needed to be replaced. I have done all of that and earlier this summer I pulled the interior apart to put in a touch screen head unit and backup camera and replace the speakers. I didn't run new wiring for the speakers so now I'm chasing a short [emoji58]. I'm going to just run fresh wire direct to the head unit and be done with it, and I have a Massive Audio Hippo 8' in a ported box for a little bump. It sounded like it was much bigger than it is when I had it in the trunk of a car but in the burb' it leaves me wanting a bit more power so sooner or later I'll be getting a couple of 12's probably. I bought the truck to be my tow rig, more often than not it sits parked and I drive my lady's car, it gets like three times the mileage [emoji16]. Oh and I dipped the grille black and put some steel 17's off a newer Sierra on there after I dipped them black too. For the mileage and the year it's real clean, almost no rust which around here is super rare. Once I get the brake booster fixed, really not looking forward to that job, she'll be 100% until something else breaks lol. She's pretty dirty right now but I'll try and post some pics later. Don't know how active this board is but if anyone has some tips on the best way to access the vacuum booster mounting nuts I'm all ears. I had to have my girl help me with that brake light switch because my hands are too big to get up in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I havent had to do my brake booster yet, but it sounds like you will need to get your girl to help there too. I also have big hands, and get my wife to use those little paws to reach in those little spots when I can get my big paws in a tight spot.

capitlj

Reaction score
Does she know you call her hands paws [emoji23]

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ha, Ha, yea she does, but I also call mine paws so what can I say.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you have been with someone as long as we have been together, you get to know each other really well. In Feb, it will be 40 years we have been together. Im 59, and She will be 58 in November. I couldnt beat Her away with a sh1ty mop. Ha Ha and yea, I say that to her face too, but make no mistake, She can hold Her own.

capitlj

Reaction score
When you have been with someone as long as we have been together, you get to know each other really well. In Feb, it will be 40 years we have been together. Im 59, and She will be 58 in November. I couldnt beat Her away with a sh1ty mop. Ha Ha and yea, I say that to her face too, but make no mistake, She can hold Her own.
I've only been with my gal 2 years so for now I'll leave that to you lol

capitlj

Reaction score
Future plans are to freshen up all the fluids, get tow mirrors, probably do new lenses especially the headlights as they're garbage from the factory, and maybe look into swapping in seats from a newer truck with the seat belt built in. The original belts are in rough shape and they probably weren't great even when they were new. That would give me the added benefit of being able to get the driver's seat heater working again. The original was shot and I wasn't able to source a replacement for the OBS trucks. She runs great though, shifts smooth and once she has fuel pressure starts right up. I think maybe the pressure regulator is leaking into the return line so sometimes she takes a second to crank up. All of the lighter grey on the bottom will be sprayed with truck bed lining there is a large paint chip behind the driver's side rear wheel anyway. I'll probably do the bumpers too, I'm not a big fan of chrome, and that'll hopefully keep everything from rusting. The huge window on driver's side rear has a leaky seal so there's tons of dust getting in where my jack and tire tools go and the only actual rust is right on the bottom edge of that seal so I will have to have that painted and blended once I fix that seal. Probably have to replace the whole damn window. Oh and speaking of windows the driver's door window is scratched all to hell so I need a new one of those and new rubbers for the door. I will probably tint the front door windows when I do that too. Loads easier when they're not in the truck. The rear main seal is seeping a bit, no drips but its definitely letting some oil out, I'm not going to bother with that though. Given the mileage I'm thinking about buying another Vortec 350 to freshen up and maybe do an RV cam and some other upgrades. I'll probably just get a trans and transfer case too at the same time and freshen them all up. So I can replace one if it goes out and if not once I have it all ready to go, swap in the fresh stuff and put another 240k on her.
You must be registered for see images attach