Heater not working after radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
When I got my Suburban(96), the controls had been bathed in coke and the traces were all screwed up(that's the one I was looking at last night), so I got another from the junkyard that also didn't work when I installed it. I found somewhere on the net a page where the guy had found the transistors were usually the problem. I replaced the transistors on my board for about $3 and it's worked great since.

I used some of his information, but I only replaced the transistors, not any of the other mods. I only bought 2 types of transistors as I recall. If I can dig up what I bought, I'll let you know exactly what the part numbers were.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/how-...-trucks-hvac-control-unit-t77522.html#p850002

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that was very thorough by both of you fellas. I sure do appreciate it. I am thinking I will be just buying a brand new direct replacement. I found one for 96 bucks including shipping. I like the idea of fixing it myself and that write up you found is very descriptive, I may take the time to do a diy with it if the replacement ever goes. And I just don't think I want to buy a used one to possibly be in the same place soon. Hopefully this works out well

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Wow that was very thorough by both of you fellas. I sure do appreciate it. I am thinking I will be just buying a brand new direct replacement. I found one for 96 bucks including shipping. I like the idea of fixing it myself and that write up you found is very descriptive, I may take the time to do a diy with it if the replacement ever goes. And I just don't think I want to buy a used one to possibly be in the same place soon. Hopefully this works out well

Golden rule. I like getting thorough answers, so that's what I try to give. I didn't want to send you down the wrong path though if it was just a pinched wire to start off with.

You're welcome. Good luck. Hope the new controls fix you up.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Somewhat common failure on 1995-up controls when you pull the radio out - metal end of antenna lead falls down on exposed A/C control circuit board, shorting it out. :(

Just a thought. I've actually seen this in action.

Richard

I just had to replace mine with a $5 junkyard control because of this exact same thing. Once I got the old one out and looked at it - you could see where one of the rca cables had fallen down onto it and melted a couple of the leads in two in on it.

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

It looks a little different from the original so I was initially worried I ordered the wrong part, but it works like a champ! And something I didn't know before, it's quieter with the mode selector. For some reason when switched between modes in the old one it's made a sound kind of like a squeaky door. I figured it was a valve moving that made the noise. But with the new piece there is non of that! I appreciate the help diagnosing the issue fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk