Heater not working after radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a new radio into my 95 k1500. After I put it in I have found I have no heat and my mode selector doesn't work. The blower works fine, but I can't direct it and there's no heat. I have checked all the fuses that I can possibly think belong to either the mode selector or heater and they so far all look good.

Can anyone help me out?
You must be registered for see images attach

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Maybe you inadvertently undid a connector or pinched a wire?

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
How did you connect your stereo? Was it plug and play or did you have to cut/splice?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Somewhat common failure on 1995-up controls when you pull the radio out - metal end of antenna lead falls down on exposed A/C control circuit board, shorting it out. :(

Just a thought. I've actually seen this in action.

Richard

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a gm adapter and cut and crimped the connections from that to the stereo wiring. Only odd thing I did was connect the "parking" line from the unit to a ground wire to bypass the parking break function so my passengers could watch movies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Somewhat common failure on 1995-up controls when you pull the radio out - metal end of antenna lead falls down on exposed A/C control circuit board, shorting it out. :(

Just a thought. I've actually seen this in action.

Richard

I'm sitting here looking at a set of controls and I can see how that could happen. I guess they're serious about disconnecting your battery before working on anything.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Tapping into a ground shouldn't cause any problem. And that's a pretty tried and true method for bypassing that feature.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Richard, what was the result of the short? Burned traces? Dead components?

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That definitely was a possibility for my antenna lead falling on something. But no fuse that I can see is burnt out. I haven't found one that I can clearly indicate is to those functions of heat and mode control, from looking at the Haynes and chilton manuals.

I feel as though it would blow a fuse, but like Dr Zoom asks... Do you think it could have damaged my control panel? I sure as heck hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about a fuse. :( I've seen the controls damaged by this. It first happened to me back in '04-'05 while driving a '98 3500HD wrecker; another driver had yanked his stereo out and left the harness & antenna lead hanging. A/C controls worked fine one night, next night they didn't - while looking at it to remove the controls, I saw the antenna lead sitting on top of the circuit board. Wrapped it up in electrical tape and installed another set of controls, working again.

Plenty of components on there that can get damaged without any visible indication.

1995 is a one-year-only A/C control design, but when you buy a new 1995 unit now, it's usually a 1996-up with an adapter harness hooked up to it. If you already have this harness in place you can grab a control from any 1996-up (and check the 1995's too of course) and give it a try; just keep in mind many used ones are already bad. These controls aren't very durable.

Richard