Heater blower motor fuse problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G R G

Reaction score
A couple of days ago my heater fan stopped working.
Today I got out a 12volt probe light and started looking for the problem. I looked at the fuses on the side of the dash on the drivers side. On the cover of the fuses it says that fuse 12 is the one I want, so I probed it on both sides. I did not get a light on either side. I probed around on as couple of other fuses and found that I did have 12 volts on the fuse block but not on fuse 12. Looking at a wiring diagram I found on line, the fuse block is hot when the key is in the run position. I've never seen one position of a fuse block go bad so I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing here.

Forgot to mention that it's a 1998 C1500 WT

Last edited:

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Go to the underhood fuse block and look for fuse #3,it controls the blower motor relay(at least on my wife's '99 Burb).That fuse is a 50amp(a big one).Other than that...dunno.Maybe something in the ign switch.

G R G

Reaction score
Go to the underhood fuse block and look for fuse #3,it controls the blower motor relay(at least on my wife's '99 Burb).That fuse is a 50amp(a big one).Other than that...dunno.Maybe something in the ign switch.
Hi, thanks, I actually started there in my search. I had 12volts on both sides of that 50 amp fuse.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you pull the fuse (the one that was dead on both sides) and make sure the socket or the fuse isn't coated with oxidation? Sometimes they just need cleaning and / or reinserting .Worth a try. If all else fails you could jump from the power side of another socket. I realize this is a workaround but it would at least be a good test.

Last edited:

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Long story short.... Brand new unpacking out of the crate Yamaha FJR sport touring bike. Dash would light up and die. Had voltage at all connections including the plug at the dash. Tore all the fairing off looking for "something".

Turned out a fuze that would pass voltage but not any amperage. I checked that fuse first thing, thinking "yup it's good"!

Ken

G R G

Reaction score
Did you pull the fuse (the one that was dead on both sides) and make sure the socket or the fuse isn't coated with oxidation? Sometimes they just need cleaning and / or reinserting .Worth a try. If all else fails you could jump from the power side of another socket. I realize this is a workaround but it would at least be a good test.
I did pull the fuse and checked both sides. They were both nada. Maybe I can jump 12v from another fuse. Good idea, I'll see if I can do that.

G R G

Reaction score
Long story short.... Brand new unpacking out of the crate Yamaha FJR sport touring bike. Dash would light up and die. Had voltage at all connections including the plug at the dash. Tore all the fairing off looking for "something".

Turned out a fuze that would pass voltage but not any amperage. I checked that fuse first thing, thinking "yup it's good"!

Ken
I hate it when stuff like that happens. Like a trip into the Twilight Zone.
Did changing the fuse make it work?

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I hate it when stuff like that happens. Like a trip into the Twilight Zone.
Did changing the fuse make it work?

Yup, New fuze and all was normal. Spent the better part of a day on the damn thing with some help from another guy that was real sharp with electrical stuff. He was more upset about it than I was! lol

Ken