Heater and AC controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lowstature

Reaction score
94 Burbon. Digital HVAC controller.

If I am on defrost or feet and I click up or down once, it goes all the way up or down and doesn’t do one adjustment at a time to blend. In order to blend I have to hit the switch again at exactly where I want it to stop (it automatically goes all the way to either end) so i have to time it just right. Is my control unit going bad or is this normal? Truck is new to me but it doesn’t seem normal to adjust it that way..:: but it still works if u time it right so I figured I’d ask to be sure… after having a VW I’ve learned manufactures sometimes do some weird things.

Sawlty

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how cold is your AC? Does it blow really cold out of the vents? Does it blow really cold at idle, or do you have to be moving in order for it to blow cold?

Thanks.

I have a 94 suburban and I can’t get it to blow cold out of the vents. Have practically rebuilt the entire system. Just trying to determine if my system will EVER blow cold or if I am fighting a losing battle.

Thanks.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Cold" is a matter of perspective. A true test is to park it in the shade for half an hour with the windows down, fire it up and kick the engine up to 2000 rpm, turn the A/C to max cold, slowest vent speed, and stick a thermometer in the vent. After 5 minutes of running, the air coming out of the vents should be 40-45°F.

In almost every vehicle on the road, A/C performance at idle stinks. Supposedly there's a variable orifice tube you can install that aids idle performance in our trucks.

Reaction score
94 Burbon. Digital HVAC controller.

If I am on defrost or feet and I click up or down once, it goes all the way up or down and doesn’t do one adjustment at a time to blend. In order to blend I have to hit the switch again at exactly where I want it to stop (it automatically goes all the way to either end) so i have to time it just right. Is my control unit going bad or is this normal? Truck is new to me but it doesn’t seem normal to adjust it that way..:: but it still works if u time it right so I figured I’d ask to be sure… after having a VW I’ve learned manufactures sometimes do some weird things.

I had a very similar issue on my 1999 K2500 Suburban. Eventually, the system was totally stuck on defrost, regardless of heat or a/c on and running. I replaced the blend door actuator and the issue totally resolved.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Lowstature

Reaction score
it was in fact the blend door. Once replaced, it works normal now. I had given up and took it to a professional. AC was pretty important for the summer.

As far as cold goes, I had to put a new compressor and a new blend door in too. Once done, it’s probably the coldest AC I have ever had. My other car is a 2015 and doesn’t get near as cold as the Burban does. If yours isn’t cold, something isn’t right. And for perspective, I drove from KY to FL and others had to crack the windows a few times because they said it was too cold for them, me… well I liked it cold.

zachjacobs223

Reaction score
Ok I don't know how to post so I have to do this I have a 96 c1500 and my ac control module is for a 96 -2005 express or savanna is there any way of changing it out for the original or do I have to completely swap the dash

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I don't see why you'd need to swap dashes just to put the original controls back in, unless they modified the dash putting those controls in.... Although, aren't the vans vacuum actuated?

Streetfighter

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how cold is your AC? Does it blow really cold out of the vents? Does it blow really cold at idle, or do you have to be moving in order for it to blow cold?

Thanks.

I have a 94 suburban and I can’t get it to blow cold out of the vents. Have practically rebuilt the entire system. Just trying to determine if my system will EVER blow cold or if I am fighting a losing battle.

Thanks.
Sounds like you are low on 134a Freon.