Headlight switch gets hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a while now my headlight switch gets hot when lights are on. A new problem I’ve noticed is between 0-5 seconds after turning truck on, the headlights don’t come on right away when I push the switch. After 5 seconds, they come on when the switch is pushed. Any idea the cause? 1994 K1500. Thanks

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dirty terminals are causing bad connection, hence initial delay, then the extra resistance is causing heat to build up. It will only get worse until it fails so I suggest replacing it soon. Also, if you rewire your headlight to receive their main current directly from the battery, through relays, then you will only be drawing a very small current through the switch, and as an added bonus your lights will be brighter.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dirty terminals are causing bad connection, hence initial delay, then the extra resistance is causing heat to build up. It will only get worse until it fails so I suggest replacing it soon. Also, if you rewire your headlight to receive their main current directly from the battery, through relays, then you will only be drawing a very small current through the switch, and as an added bonus your lights will be brighter.
That’s how my uncle set his up, so I’ll have to hit him up before long.

5vortec7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that similar to what @5vortec7 sells?
It’s similar but doesn’t have the 4 high mod, still uses your small gauge stock wiring and taps into it using ez taps which rust out after awhile. My harness uses 12g wiring (delivering more current providing even brighter lights) and will last much longer since there’s no splicing, it’s plug and play. Shoot me a pm if your interested or have any other questions.

4player

Wookie Wagon
Reaction score
I got the heavy duty wire harness from LMC for this problem as I went thru 4 or 5 headlight switches in my 94. After I put that in, its been fine for over 14 years now. It was really easy to put in, took maybe 45 minutes total. I also did the 4-hi mod when I did this.