Headlight advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brockwaykid

Reaction score
So I ordered some smoked lights for my truck this summer and installed them. I've only driven the truck for about 3 weeks and I'm not impressed with the bubls. they are quite dim. And where i want to look is where the low beams "stop" and the high beams "start". I've been looking for info on the best lights to put in and havent found any good info. Just looking for some good setups. I'm not too keen on HIDs yet but I may do it. I like the normal colored bulbs. But if i have to get colored ones (blue) i will. thanks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I run GE Nighthawks in both of my trucks. Same as Sylvania Silverstar Ultras but without the blue tint. Never been an HID guy, myself. Not on vehicles that weren't designed for them anyway.

Brockwaykid

Reaction score
Ok. I have a feeling the $106 lights i got from ebay came with crappy buls. I'll try them out. I'm gonna stay away from Silverstars, ive read nothing good about them. Thanks for the info

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No problem. Just FYI if you get them, get the standard Nighthawk bulbs. The Platinums and Xenons both have the blue tint added to them.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind that going HID doesn't mean you have to get crappy blue colored headlights. Many color temperatures are offered in HID including 4300K which is basically a stock white color with very slight yellowish tint. Many go 5000K which is more white.

Then there's the issues with the housings really not being intended for HID's so that's the bigger problem. Just saying though that just to go HID doesn't mean you have to go blue.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then there's the issues with the housings really not being intended for HID's so that's the bigger problem. Just saying though that just to go HID doesn't mean you have to go blue.

Very true. The reflector issues are the reason I never decided to go that route. Short of a completely custom projector retrofit, I've never seen any housings for these trucks that use HID bulbs like they're really supposed to be used.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I run the 6000K bright white HIDs, I aimed them low so I don't blind people. I get better light in front than I did with the Silverstars, but there is just that hint of blue.