Headers VS stock manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badcj8

Reaction score
Good stuff...

Yep I used a high flow cat on it. don't have emissions now though so I've been thinking of strait piping it, but I've been told it smells rich all the time if you do that.

Glad you mentioned that, I was looking at the Summit Brand, I will stay away for sure now!

Yeah I saw that Y pipe you're talking about, pretty nice but that darn thing is as much as a pair of headers... I think I'm going to go with the ones that bold right up. They are a little more but they just seem easier... I can always change that later I suppose.

lha1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good stuff...

Yep I used a high flow cat on it. don't have emissions now though so I've been thinking of strait piping it, but I've been told it smells rich all the time if you do that.

Glad you mentioned that, I was looking at the Summit Brand, I will stay away for sure now!

Yeah I saw that Y pipe you're talking about, pretty nice but that darn thing is as much as a pair of headers... I think I'm going to go with the ones that bold right up. They are a little more but they just seem easier... I can always change that later I suppose.

I can sure enough say they do smell rich when you take the cat out. My '89 has stock manifolds with a single straight out to a Flowmaster 40 series. Welded in 2 1/2in pipe on the original y-pipe right after the collector. Doesn't sound as loud as i thought it would be but hey its a start. I've been thinking myself of gettting the ebay shortys for a try just to get the old rusty manifolds out.

Frankb714

Reaction score
Can you guys get it to pass CA smog after you throw on some headers? What do you end up doing with the preheater hose that goes from the exhaust manifold to the air intake i thought that was necessary in order to pass smog check.