Headers VS stock manifolds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badcj8

Reaction score
I've always heard they are an advantage and have run some and have not really noticed much over stock when I have. They seem to sound better. I'm finally putting an engine in my '89. Its a '94 long block .30 over with forged rods, flat tops, stainless valves 1.6:1 roller tip rockers with an ECM already made for it...

Will headers give me any advantage over the stock manifolds? Will any other changes have to be made? And are there any that will bolt right on with out having to change the current stocexhaustst set up?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Some headers, depending on the design, will out flow stock manifolds. There's also the argument about how cast iron holds heat longer.

The other thing is the fact that cast iron manifolds are ugly. Even a cheap set of headers will clean up the look of an engine bay.

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You Could do Shorty header's and you would be able to hook up to your excisting down pipes.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
headers do flow better, the thing is you don't feel much in the butt dyno without addressing the rest of the intake and exhaust flow as a whole package

1badcj8

Reaction score
Thanks guys...

headers do flow better, the thing is you don't feel much in the butt dyno without addressing the rest of the intake and exhaust flow as a whole package

By this I assume you mean muffler ect... I have a cat back dual with Flowmasters. Headers are not as expensive as they used to be (for the most part) but I'm wondering if it is worth the little extra. Hence I asked you all for your in put. So if its not going to help in the "butt" how about mileage? Help any there. Also as asked before will it effect the ECM at all?

GMstrong

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well its kind of pointless bolting headers to a horrible ypipe.I say buy a set of longtubes.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
Thanks guys...

By this I assume you mean muffler ect... I have a cat back dual with Flowmasters. Headers are not as expensive as they used to be (for the most part) but I'm wondering if it is worth the little extra. Hence I asked you all for your in put. So if its not going to help in the "butt" how about mileage? Help any there. Also as asked before will it effect the ECM at all?

i meant a better flowing intake and head porting to improve flow, header by themselves won't do much but they do allow other work done to the motor to be more beneficial , the point is more air flow in and more airflow out.

that little change will not effect the ecm, you can do quite a bit before you need ecm work

with your cat back did you still use the pancake cat or put on a high flow cat??

Blue 04 Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you do get direct fit shortys. Stay away from the summit brand (reboxed pacesetters). I had them on my 89 they leaked like crazy and actually cracked were all 4 pipes join. There is a bunch of people running the ebay stainless shortys with good results.