HD front and rear swap, full driveline as well

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't really been posting a whole lot, just kind of lurking while the new girlfriend and I figure everything out and get settled in together. Been dating 9 months now, moved in together 3 months ago. Also working vigorously at rebuilding my ***** credit.

Anyways, that brings me to a couple questions I have - I recently stumbled across what I assume is one of the best options for a total drive train swap on our trucks - an 02 Chev 2500HD with a 6.0L and 4L80E. The body and frame are rotted on the truck so I got it complete, cheap ($500CAD). My general idea is to swap all of this over to my 97 K1500 which is already a "heavy half" (14 bolt rear end, 4+1 springs, heavy duty torsion bars, etc).

Suspension wise, what's my options for swapping the whole truck over to 8 lug? I have everything stock on the donor truck - control arms, spindles, front diff, torsion bars, etc. Am I able to just pull the spindles, swap em, and swap front diffs? Or do I have to swap everything over and fab up mounts for the c-arms?

Also - what's my best options for swapping motor and trans and t-case? Just pull and swap everything, ECU, rad, etc included? What will I have to re-wire / pull from the harness to use my stock 4x4 switch, cluster, radio, etc?

Totally new to the swap game - but I figure you guys will be able to guide me through it!

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Uhm, what gears are in at 14SF??? G80?

My truck is currently 3.73 front and rear, G80 rear. Donor truck is 4.10s I believe, but it doesn't really matter as I will be going 4.56s when I put 35s on it. Also, I am swapping both front and rear axles, so the ratio will remain the same. Just trying to figure out the best way to swap the front.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Dude, I'd be interested in your rear. I'm looking for one of those to swap in my truck so if you're willing to let it go...

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
I dont think you can just swap spindles, the ball joints on the 2500 might have a larger taper and i know the tie rods have a larger taper so you may have to be creative to go that route. As far as 8 lug for the front with your k1500 spindles, i heard the 8 lug unit bearings from a 2nd gen dodge with a dana 44 are a direct swap but i have not had time to verify yet. The rear axle will need the perches and shock mounts moved

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Dude, I'd be interested in your rear. I'm looking for one of those to swap in my truck so if you're willing to let it go...

I'm in PEI, Canada. Freight would probably be in the $500+ range to go anywhere to the states.

I dont think you can just swap spindles, the ball joints on the 2500 might have a larger taper and i know the tie rods have a larger taper so you may have to be creative to go that route. As far as 8 lug for the front with your k1500 spindles, i heard the 8 lug unit bearings from a 2nd gen dodge with a dana 44 are a direct swap but i have not had time to verify yet. The rear axle will need the perches and shock mounts moved

Rear axle seems simple enough. In the fronts, could I just run the whole steering assembly, control arms, etc from the 2500 and put the mounts on my 1500 frame, or would I be better off trying to modify my control arms to work?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Gee whiz, just looked into PEI and it would take at least 21 hours one way to get there. Nope. Figures haha. Back to keeping my eyes peeled at the scrap yards.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The 800 series steering linkage is incompatible with the 400 series frame. The control arms are also quite different.