Having problems getting 99 7.4 Cam retard to zero out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe there should be a special exception to the insane censoring on this forum for the word " r e t a r d " since it literally has an automotive meaning lol.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard of sites that won't allow the word "Basement". Apparently, the basement is full of sem en.

Censorship is nearly always bad.
Couldn't agree more, I get it that the forum wants to make $ from ads, but if the censorship is actually harming the usability of the forum to discuss car parts then what's the point right?

Can I say draincock or petcock still?

scottr55

Reaction score
My 99 7.4 is alwayse out 24 to 26 degrees of timing but my cam correlation Is at -.1°
Are you adjusting for the cam crank correlation Cause a 99 gen 6 the computer does the rest

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe there should be a special exception to the insane censoring on this forum for the word " r e t a r d " since it literally has an automotive meaning lol.
In more ways than one.. if r e t a r d s are becoming a protected class on this forum, I may just be done with it altogether. Lots of great people, but a couple absolute knobs full of useless opinions.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just FYI everyone I notified the admins about this.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I've heard of sites that won't allow the word "Basement". Apparently, the basement is full of sem en.

Censorship is nearly always bad.

Naughty list test:
***** - s c r e w
nut - n u t
**** - c r a p
**** - k i l l
****** - t h r u s t
**** - l m a o
*** - w t f
damn - d a m n
**** - c o c k

this site is getting r e t a r d e d with its PC bull$hit

In more ways than one.. if r e t a r d s are becoming a protected class on this forum, I may just be done with it altogether. Lots of great people, but a couple absolute knobs full of useless opinions.

Richard

Sorry for the massive multi-quote but I just wanted to thank everyone who pointed out the word filter issues. I just got a PM back about this and it looks like the admins have seen it/fixed it before on other forums. Shaggy should be able to correct this as soon as he's aware of it. Some more discussion on the subject in this thread:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/censored-word.53719/

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 99 7.4 is alwayse out 24 to 26 degrees of timing but my cam correlation Is at -.1°
Are you adjusting for the cam crank correlation Cause a 99 gen 6 the computer does the rest
Yup. on '96-newer "Vortec" engines, Cam sensor/Crank sensor syncrhonization ("Cam offset", or other similar phrases) has NOTHING to do with ignition timing, unless you turn the distributor so far that the spark flies to the wrong plug wire terminal.

IGNITION TIMING is based on the crank sensor, modified by the spark tables in the computer programming. Turn the distributor anywhere you like, as long as the spark reaches the correct plug wire, the ignition timing doesn't change. The ONLY things that turning the distributor does, are:
1. Assure that the rotor is aligned with the correct plug wire terminal on the cap. This minimizes the voltage needed to jump the rotor-to-cap gap. It may be that folks with repeated distributor cap failures have poor alignment, high voltage, and insulation failure because of it.

2. According to the Service Manual, the computer uses the cam sensor to verify which cylinder is misfiring. If the cam sensor is mispositioned by the distributor being improperly aligned, the computer may think #4 is misfiring when in fact it's #8, for example.