Has anyone ever snapped a torsion bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I had an idea of rotating/flipping mine so they are cranked and torqued in the opposite direction they were to begin to to kinda re-new them to a certain extent..

but i was reading online (mainly on FORD forums) that torsion bars have the tendency to snap and break, so flipping them would in turn change their 'memory' and weaken them. and the last thing i was to do is be driving down the road and have one snap and force my tires into my fender and bumper ripping the tire to shreds and causing me to lose control,

I've yet to find any information or pictures of gmt400 bars snapped, i figured since theyre so thick it would be hard, but then again, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link..

any input would be appreciated

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
IIRC when people put 3/4 ton bars in half tons they have to flip and reverse them side to side so I don't see what the problem would be.

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
IIRC when people put 3/4 ton bars in half tons they have to flip and reverse them side to side so I don't see what the problem would be.

That is such a relief. I might look into that more, if so, i can flip mine and level my front end out. My biggest fear is snapping something while driving down the tollway

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my interweb ramblings I rember seeing pics of a snaped GM torsion bar, I don't remember where or the body style or the circumstances but I can distinctly recall the images in my head.

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score

That is such a relief. I might look into that more, if so, i can flip mine and level my front end out. My biggest fear is snapping something while driving down the tollway

I didn't flip mine when I did it. I pulled them out marked them Driver/Passenger and Front/Back then put them in the exact same way they came out

ShadowRejects

Reaction score
In my interweb ramblings I rember seeing pics of a snaped GM torsion bar, I don't remember where or the body style or the circumstances but I can distinctly recall the images in my head.
ive only seen one picture and it was snapped torwards the end. it almost looked like it was a defected t-bar.
I didn't flip mine when I did it. I pulled them out marked them Driver/Passenger and Front/Back then put them in the exact same way they came out
i keep forgetting you have 2500 bars. Send em my way! ha
It would take a good amount of force to snap one. They are under a tremendous amount of stress.

thats what i was thinking. my truck doesnt weight a whole lot in the front since i have no beefy bumpers or anything. im going to flip them this weekend. wish me luck and hopefully they dont snap on me :fc5716bd: