Harness swap headache. 1988 harness to 1994

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
my 1988s single cab harness was cut by the previous owner. i sourced a 1994 v6 harness from another single can and i planned onto installing it onto this one. Every connector works except these two. From under the dash passenger side this single red wire is just that a single red wire and connector. the donor harness has a different plug for this red wire. it has the red wire AND a green/purple twist combo. im sure i can splice the red to red wires but what do the green and purple wires go to? ive been looking at harness diagrams all day and have come upon zero helpful links.

Mainly what i want to know is what do the green and purple wires go to. this is all i need before i can proceed with my project.

To clarify, the single red wire is from the 1988's harness and the red/green/purple is from the 1994s harness
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I believe that the single Red wire is for the headlights. My '88 melted that connector in the middle of the night and I lost my head lights, lucky for me it happened right when I pulled into my driveway.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The green/purple twisted pair should be for the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The 88-91 clusters used built-in speed buffers - 92-95 used external speed buffer modules behind the glove box.

Reaction score
The green/purple twisted pair should be for the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The 88-91 clusters used built-in speed buffers - 92-95 used external speed buffer modules behind the glove box.

Could i cut the red wire off, splice it into the existing red wire and leave the purple/green hanging?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Probably....As long as you have those VSS lines already going to your cluster, I guess it should be okay.