Harmonic balancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok yea it's not too expensive if I was working my 50 hour weeks like I do in the summer time but I'm in college at the moment and $25 is a little more than 2 pizza's from Pizza Hut. I'll just be ubber dupper careful when I start the bolt into the crank shaft.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok yea it's not too expensive if I was working my 50 hour weeks like I do in the summer time but I'm in college at the moment and $25 is a little more than 2 pizza's from Pizza Hut. I'll just be ubber dupper careful when I start the bolt into the crank shaft.

:nono: do as you will, but it's a bad idea.....

it will cost way more to fix than $25 if you damage the threads or if the bolt breaks, both of which I've seen happen....

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do these balancer asembly things work, I may ne able to fashion one up in my machining class as long as the crank shaft bolt doesn't have some weird threads

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start the balancer on making sure it's lined up correctly. The stud threads into the crankshaft, then a bearing goes on, a special washer and a nut. As you tighten the nut it pushes the balancer on. The bearing allows the washer/nut to turn and not damage the balancer.

Check at oreillys though, I'm pretty sure you can rent one there. Just make sure to have it back within 48 hrs....

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
I agree with using the tool, whether you can rent it or have to buy it. Think of it as insurance; you hate to pay for it, but you're glad to know it's there if something goes wrong.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i've just used the bolt before but that's because i didn't realize the tool was so cheap, if i ever do it again ill probably end up buying a tool

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Just did this... Definitely need a puller. Harmonic balnacer puller/ steering wheel puller would definitely make it easier.

Have fun!

You must be registered for see images attach