haha made my truck diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turning radius, ride quality, better tire wear, etc.

They have pretty much perfected it for most people.

The only downside is they don't offroad very well but that is probably less than 5% of the new truck market so why would they change it?

So true. Us gmt400'ers and guys who heavily modify our 4x4 trucks really only account for a tiny percentage of consumers so if you're GM you do what's best for the AVG. guy. I don't think IFS in the HD trucks was a bad move at all. It rides amazing, and that's one of the reasons chevy is the best because the interior, the ride, and the overall look and quality is above ford and dodge IMO...Now since 07 seems like everyone (F, D, and GM) wanna make all their trucks basically the same damn things :nono: but 95-06 we were killin' it IMO

jcloud

BaLlIn On A BuDgEt
Reaction score
I still believe they should of went with a straight axle on the HD trucks but I understand about ride quality, turning radius,etc for the average guy

Luke(MI)

Blow Smoke
Reaction score
Had a 1994 as well. It was neat watching the paint fall off. The Dana 44 disconnect is a joke. The Dana 60 is nice but the FF Corporate 14 is stronger. And if to defend a truck you have to say, it only takes 2 headlight bulbs instead of 4 is not much of an argument...

Got rid of it because I needed more room so I got the Crummy (Suburban) and after 8 years of ownership, I saved enough to put a Cummins in it.

I prefer GM trucks over Dodge and Ford by a long shot - owned a few of each, that doesn't mean each truck is total junk and can't somehow contribute parts to making this one better :)

It's an argument if it saves you about $100 of a limited budget

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headlight bulbs......ok.....thats not really an argument. I have an 2500HD and I love the ifs, at 120 with the trailer attached she rides like a dream. I get solid axles in offroad vehicles, totally, but for your average guy, ifs is 100X better. The dodge interiors always have been horrid, that was always my biggest issue with them, well that, and the fact that Chry Co and automatic transmissions are not the best of freinds. Fords, the old 7.3 was a great engine, bulletproof and decently powerful, Ive just never liked the way they looked, outside or in. If I could stuff a 24 Valve cummins and an Allison in my truck, I would have the perfect truck for me. IFS is great for almost all situations, now if youre rock crawling with your 1 ton diesel and break the CV axles, you my freind are the one with the problem.

Reaction score
i am going to bump an old thread to tell you that gen 2 dodge trucks are exponentially better than anything GM offered at that time.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i am going to bump an old thread to tell you that gen 2 dodge trucks are exponentially better than anything GM offered at that time.

Gen 2 dodge engine (12v cummins) yes absolutely, rest of truck, no way... cummins is the only reason rams are still around

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 12 valve engine is for sure better then the diesels built back in the 90s by gm, unless your talking about milage, the rest of the truck... no way, everyone that has mid to late 90s dodge know as one point their dash will be cracked so bad the dash will fall to pieces, nothing will stay together, those trucks were junk besides the engine, heck, dodge insides are terrible, or atleast all of them that i have been in, very cheaply made for sure