haha made my truck diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My old 89 had the straight 7.3(NA aka non-turbo)....damn good off-idle puller....that was about it. Best Ford(IH) diesel was the 7.6L 466-I6 NA turbo'd to 6psi, best farm truck diesel IMHO was the above-mentioned 7.3-V8 Non-Turbo(Naturally Aspirated)IDI engine.

Last edited:

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Go for the 460. 94-97 F250s that were diesel powered were powered by the early powerstroke. People still think these things are worth its weight in gold, at least around here they do. 7.3 IDI quit production mid 94 with the rare turbo IDI 7.3

Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting much for the old engine I pull outa it, just get it outta my yard... I was originally looking at starting with a 351 due to plentifulness around here, but then I would have to get a new radiator support and radiator... either a 460 or IDI would be a worthy canidate for me, just finding one that's not rusted to hell is tough up here

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
either 85+ or 87+ models had galvanized steel bodies to prevent rust.....might look for those. I'd have to re-check years to see when the galvanized steel was used. I know they started using just on a few vehicles on one year, then within 2yrs had all their trucks in full galvanized bodies. What old engine are you trying to get rid of?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Also, here's an engine that I'd recommend, it'll put that 7.3 to shame(I really hate having to admit that), it's like ford's version of the cummins, except it's actually better than a cummins of equal size and with bolt-ons can outperform cummins with same bolt-ons of same engine size. It's the above-mentioned 7.6L 466-Inline 6, model DT466.

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
either 85+ or 87+ models had galvanized steel bodies to prevent rust.....might look for those. I'd have to re-check years to see when the galvanized steel was used. I know they started using just on a few vehicles on one year, then within 2yrs had all their trucks in full galvanized bodies. What old engine are you trying to get rid of?
The one that will be sitting in my yard after I pull it to do the swap

Also, here's an engine that I'd recommend, it'll put that 7.3 to shame(I really hate having to admit that), it's like ford's version of the cummins, except it's actually better than a cummins of equal size and with bolt-ons can outperform cummins with same bolt-ons of same engine size. It's the above-mentioned 7.6L 466-Inline 6, model DT466.
Thanks for the suggestion, I completely forgot about the DT466

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ah, I thought you were talking about a current vehicle you had that you were pulling an engine from. If it comes with the detuned 400-M, I can tell ya how to make it right....better yet, I can link ya to hot-rod's hot build....

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I hear a lot of 12v talk around here, and Don't get me wrong, I'm a 6bt nut like no other, but how many of you have thought about a 4BT or even a 4BD1-T? Or even 4BD2-T?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Honestly, a 4cyl has too many vibrations for me, I prefer atleast 6cylinders.....atleast when using automatic trannies. Don't mind them with manuals....I was about to tell you that there was a guy here with that style engine ya mentioned....until I noticed that guy was you :p

BlackBeauty

No I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, I thought you were talking about a current vehicle you had that you were pulling an engine from. If it comes with the detuned 400-M, I can tell ya how to make it right....better yet, I can link ya to hot-rod's hot build....
Sure post it up!!

I hear a lot of 12v talk around here, and Don't get me wrong, I'm a 6bt nut like no other, but how many of you have thought about a 4BT or even a 4BD1-T? Or even 4BD2-T?

I've thought about a 4BT, but, for my application of a 6600lb 3/4 ton truck, that will be doing a good bit of towing, and I also enjoy the wide variety of parts for the 6BT... But a future project is an Early Bronco with a 4cyl