GT4 only to replace GRT4/G80?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamahX

Reaction score
My rear diff went out, and had the G80 locker. I found and removed/purchased a GT4 only from a junkyard in good condition for $80.00. It came out of a 93 4wd Suburban.

My truck is a 94 Z71 4wd. Is it okay to NOT have the locker? I know the G80 was problematic, and my thoughts were if it's 4wd and I get stuck I just pop in the front. Also, will this affect towing? I have use of a 26ft camper.

I also can beat $80. Everyone else wanted $400.

I intend on keeping my truck, meaning I'm not fixing it to sell. It's been a great truck, straight body, tight engine, and belonged to another Chief who took care of it.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What gear ratio do you have in the old rear diff? GT4 is 3.73s

Take a look in your glovebox at the RPO codes It will either be GT__ or GU__ I have never heard of GR4 for gearing

It is perfectly fine NOT to have the locker.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your rear gear ratio does not match the front don't intend on using 4x4 till you get new gears for the front.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming the GR is just a missprint and that the axle ratios are the same, then no not have the "locker" will not effect anything, most of the time the G80's dont work properly anyways. If really planning on keeping the truck I would look at getting a 9.5" 14 bolt rear axle and ditching the 10 bolt, especially if wanting more power or larger tires. But $80 is not a bad price on a working rear axle.

Last edited:

RamahX

Reaction score
That was a typo in the subject line. New phone... GT4. Yes, old one was a GT4, yes I know about GM's ridiculous decision to put the RPO codes in the BOTTOM of the GLOVE BOX ;-<

Every time we found a truck in the junk yard the codes were worn off the sticker or faded from people actually putting STUFF in their glove box... That or the glove box was MISSING... So we had to pull the covers to count gear teeth. And apparently GM didn't place any marking plates on their rear ends. Go figure : (

I feel like I was actually run over by that truck today... I need morphine I mean Motrin. Everything hurts.

DGA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can actually get a fully rebuilt G80 for $250 + shipping from these guys.
http://www.betperformance.com/diffrebuild.html

About $50-$80 less if you send in your diff for a rebuild. Which would also aleviate the extra work from trying to locate the diff properly if it was a different one than the one that was in the truck, saving you time and possibly money.

I've talked to them before and they are very quick to respond and seem very knowledgeable.