Goodwrench nv3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 92 single cab z71 that was a 5 speed. Well I pulled it apart and upon further inspection I realized it’s a goodwrench replacement transmission. I was just wanting to know a little bit more info about them like how much there worth and and how much there capable of handling since I will be swapping it into my 93 extended cab. Thanks and have a nice day

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a 92 single cab z71 that was a 5 speed. Well I pulled it apart and upon further inspection I realized it’s a goodwrench replacement transmission. I was just wanting to know a little bit more info about them like how much there worth and and how much there capable of handling since I will be swapping it into my 93 extended cab. Thanks and have a nice day
91 Light Duty K2500 ECSB, 5.7 NV3500, bought it with less than 10k on the odometer (it was the dealers personal truck). Took very, very good care of that truck. At 32k the trans began making a bit of noise in 3rd and 5th. Took it to the dealer, "Yep, it's a known issue". They replaced it under warranty with an "upgraded" one. At 155k it absolutely fragged 5th gear, chunks came out when I pulled the plug. Gave my dealer hell and they sold me a new trans at cost. I went out of my way to keep the trans lube new and clean. At 275K it began making the now familiar noise in 3rd and 5th. I kinda' hated to do it but I sold the truck.

Everything else in the drive line was flawless in that truck, I replaced the water pump and steering parts, ball joints at about 200k, the ICM went out on me once. It still had the original steering gear, PS pump, CV axles (which I regreased once when a boot tore), timing cover was beginning to seep oil and the rear of the intake was beginning to seep water, and of course brakes. But that was it.

BTW, Getrag of Germany--a wholly owned subsidiary of Ford at the time--designed and manufactured that trans, and it was in most of the manual trans half ton trucks of that generation--GM, Ford, and Dodge.