going with a carb'd small block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grey wolf

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done this yet, and if I'm missing anything. I've got a '98 with 4.3 and 5 speed, RWD. I'm really leaning towards just tearing out all the electronics and going old school, building a classic small block with a carb and maybe HEI distributor. I'm pretty sure it would be a straight forward swap into this truck, but I just want to try to confirm a few things...

1. Will the NV3500 bolt right up to a small block engine? As far as I know, the clutch and everything is supposed to bolt right up.

2. I believe I will need some different motor mounts. Just some mounts for the v8 version of my truck will work?

3. Any recommendations on a quality aftermarket fuel pressure regulator to feed the carb? Planning to keep the electric pump and all that in the tank, so my gauge will still work.

Of course there will probably be a couple things like radiator and/or hoses to figure out, but that's no big deal really. At least there's tons of room under the hood of these trucks! I doubt an engine swap will be any easier than this.

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well. I'll answer what I can.

1. Depends on what small block. If it's a 1-piece rear main then yeah should bolt right up with the later style flywheel and clutch. If it's a 2-piece block then I believe it's a bit more complicated. I read somewhere about using a 2 piece style flywheel with a newer s-10 clutch. But I can't confirm this

3. I did my first carb swap without a pressure regulator. I just plumbed the pressure line straight into the return line. With a "T" going to the carb. Never had a problem with but your results may vary. (Note, the fuel pump is signaled by the distributor. So you'll have to come up with a solution for that)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

grey wolf

Reaction score
Oh, a couple good points of information that I did not know! Thanks guys. That fuel pump/distributor thing should be fairly easy to figure out, and I guess for convenience sake I will try to get a one piece rear main small block! I haven't even started to gather parts yet, so it's all good. I might try to build the motor over the winter, then do the swap in the spring or something.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What about emissions? Or inspections? I know everywhere is different but even being a 98 light duty would think there would be. Usually just plugs into the OBD port to check for codes.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What about emissions? Or inspections? I know everywhere is different but even being a 98 light duty would think there would be. Usually just plugs into the OBD port to check for codes.

Depends on the area.... I could swap a coal plant into my truck here in MI... no emissions or inspections whatsoever.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been doing a little research, here in Maricopa County, AZ they require '76 and up OBD1 to do the rolling dyno/sniffer test every 2 years. There is a provision for "classic car" insurance and Historic plates where you're exempt from emissions but, you are restricted to usage. It's mainly for cruising and going to car shows and, "occasional" other uses. Insurance is cheaper, for me it will be a whopping $9/Month less. If you get caught cheating, the insurance company can deny the claim. I'm gonna get the Historic plates for my 88 next week. They're copper since AZ is the copper state, I guess?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've been doing a little research, here in Maricopa County, AZ they require '76 and up OBD1 to do the rolling dyno/sniffer test every 2 years.

All the way back to 76.... well, I guess you likely do have more still on the road in AZ.

They're copper since AZ is the copper state, I guess?

Current mining, or a long time ago? Michigan used to be big into copper, but that was eons ago.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
You'll be looking at a lot of rewiring. Once the computer is out of the loop, I don't think the gauges are going to function, so you will have to replace them with traditional units

Trigger_guard

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll be looking at a lot of rewiring. Once the computer is out of the loop, I don't think the gauges are going to function, so you will have to replace them with traditional units
Believe it or not, all the gauges should work fine. They're not pared to the computer. Even the tach feed can be hooked up to an HEI

Note. I don't know if going from a v6 to a V8 would through the tack off though. Might want to look into that. Assuming you have one

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk