GMT400 with new rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Are there any gmt400+ year 6 lug rear ends that are easy to swap? I have searched some with no luck, I don't want rear disk. Just tired of my whining rear end and want to swap in a newer factory one. Does anyone know what will work? I love my gmt400, just want a newer factory rear end.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 6 lug 9.5 inch semi float 14 bolt from a gmt400 would be an easy swap, and an upgrade.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice, wonder if I could find a low mileage one? That is the reason for looking of a gmt400+ year model. BTW, where would I look for one of them, a 2500 6 lug?

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
They where also in k1500 diesels and k1500s with the f44 package (heavy duty chasis)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Looking around the salvage yards here the 14 bolt 6 lug is going to be hard to track down.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking around the salvage yards here the 14 bolt 6 lug is going to be hard to track down.

That's funny because around here they're everywhere. I just passed up about a half a dozen in the junk yard. I guess that goes to show what kind of trucks sold where.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I didn't realize that they were in some of the half tons gas Z71 trucks. Was having a hard time finding a 4x4 2500 with 6 lugs.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny, because I'm not an expert on any one make or model, I hardly ever notice what the axles I'm looking at are under, axles are the main thing I hunt for a junk yards (and transfer cases) I see an axle and don't usually care what it came out of. All though I did see what appeared to be a nbs 14 bolt with disk brakes with the drum in hat ebrake that had been swapped into an obs k2500 suburban, last time I was at the junk yard. I wanted it, but someone already had their hands on it.