GMT400 Lock Cylinder Removal, WONT COME OUT!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alljackedup408

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey yal,

Looking for some advice on where to go with this.... I have had a new cylinder for a while.. but gave up a while back.... .well I really want to get the new one in, and I just can not figure it the heck out.

There is a pin hole you push a pick into, and its got a tab which pushes down when the cylinder is rotated to the ON postions, and you can remove the cylinder... mine for some reason feels like I am hitting solid metal... the hole is too small to see exactly what the heck is going on.... SO!!!

Any ideas?

It's driving me nuts..... lol. Thanks for any advice, here is a video I took showing exactly what I am doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHq936fKbY

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
turn it off put pick in the hole press and turn key at the same time lock will turn and come out

Alljackedup408

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good. I think I tried that? Can't remember had a bunch going on at the moment hahah.

I will try again today and see!!

Thank you!

Alljackedup408

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tried it and nothing!! Nothing catches my pick when I am turning the key... it's driving me nuts.

I have the new one and I can see the wedge that needs to be pushed in to release it, and have held it up to my current column and it lights up at the hold when just hold it in the spot it should in theory be.

I have a feeling I am going to have to replace the whole ignition housing.... would rather not tho!

Thinking about drilling out the hole so I can see what is going on, little shavings shouldnt hurt the lock cylinder right?

Thanks!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It has been a while but I thought it had to be in accessory before the lock cylinder can be removed.

Alljackedup408

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I have tried every position, and I can not feel the wedge that is spring loaded at all.

I have removed these in the past... easy peasy. I just am curious what the heck is going on... lol.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery, and turn the key all the way to "start" - it's been years since I've had to do one of these but it almost seems like there's a year difference on them with exactly what position you need to turn it to.

Richard

Alljackedup408

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried that as well =(

I pulled the #8 fuse (CRANK) and turned the key all the way over. Nothing was there either!!!

The lock cylinder will not rotate backwards after inserting the key, as it shouldnt. And tried every spot... I will try again with the fuse pulled and see, but pretty sure it wasnt.

I appreciate the suggestions tho!!! Thank you.

Disconnect the battery, and turn the key all the way to "start" - it's been years since I've had to do one of these but it almost seems like there's a year difference on them with exactly what position you need to turn it to.

Richard

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Procedure directly from Mitchel. **Note the thumbnail pic is a link to full size img**

You must be registered for see images attach