gear indicator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 98 1500 4x4 is having gear indicator problems. Here is a run down when you put it in park the gear indicator still says reverse so when i get in it to start it i have to shift to neutral. Possible cause and solutions?

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if the 1995+ ones use the little cable clipped to the column like the 1994- ones did, but if so, remove the trim panel below the wheel and you should see a little metal clip on the rotating part (the part the shifter is attached to) and simply tap it with a screwdriver or something to the right a tad, see if that fixes your problem. Did for me, I also got annoyed of the indicator not being where it should be.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no cable on 95+ its all electronic. I'm not sure if the sensor for it is on the column or on the trans though

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a broken cable? The most common place is on the transmission where the bracket that bolts to the transmission and holds the cable, and the shift linkage. It breaks and the cable pops up.