Garage door opener Overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Joey

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate if it's not to cold gonna try an pull one this weekend

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put one of those in my factory overhead console where the original door/velcro contraption was and had to slightly modify it to fit, not hard at all though.

For the wiring I connected both the 12v and the light 12v together so my light on it stays on all the time but it is so dim you can't even tell. I also made sure that the power came from switched 12v so my garage door could not be opened without the truck's key on.

Z71Joey

Reaction score
If there's not constant power wouldn't it lose memory ??

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It fit in there fine but because the original piece hinged down and is held by a catch the new piece wont stay "clicked" in to place. I glued something in there so it would mount flush with the console.

Once you pull the console down to install it you will see what I mean.

It holds memory just fine on switched power, don't ask me how.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
I have the wiring diagram saved somewhere, I will try to remember to post it tomorrow. Also - there are two different ones. Mine is an older one and doesn't work with a lot of newer garage doors. It's after a certain year and you can identify it by the wire colors IIRC. I'll check tomorrow.
It's real easy to hook up, just 3 wires. Ground, 12+ and illumination. I wouldn't even worry much about illum, the buttons are so dim it's useless.

Z71Joey

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it I do rember my dads chrysler having one of theese in it and programming it but that was awhile ago but same garage door opener

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
So I think I found it...

The one I put in my truck is the older type... With Orange, White & Black wires I believe. This works great, but it only operates 2 out of the 3 of our garage doors. This is because the opener was replaced on one of them in the past couple of years. From what I understand a lot of newer garage door openers (especially Liftmaster) won't work with Homelink systems older than 2009 (pre Homelink Vers. 4). There are adapters of course that you can purchase from Homelink so that your opener is compatible.
I believe the last one that will fit in the OHC of our trucks is version 3 - which will still operate most doors. These have 3 wires - Orange, Green, & Purple/Yellow.

Here are a couple of links you can read about if you like. Either way, it's really easy to install. The only thing I don't care for is the range... It doesn't compare to the openers that came with my garage doors. I actually still have them all on my visor and just use them. Otherwise I'm damn near pulled against the door before the homelink does it's thing.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...rior-tech/82415-homelink-wiring-question.html

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=258527

Z71Joey

Reaction score
Did theese come in trucks prior to 1999 because that's the newest suburban/tahoe/Yukon and a yard locally?