Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
A dead-head gauge like that would be ideal. Your fuel pressure should be 30-40 lbs with a gauge like that. You can run your truck with a inline style gauge installed, but you can't check the operation of the regulator. With a dead-head style gauge like is posted (that just hooks to the line from the pump and caps it off) you can kill both birds with one stone. I have never used one of the sort but that setup looks awesome.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
A dead-head gauge like that would be ideal. Your fuel pressure should be 30-40 lbs with a gauge like that. You can run your truck with a inline style gauge installed, but you can't check the operation of the regulator. With a dead-head style gauge like is posted (that just hooks to the line from the pump and caps it off) you can kill both birds with one stone. I have never used one of the sort but that setup looks awesome.

He's got a TBI.

His FP should be around 13-14PSI.

98_k1500

Reaction score
The gauge that is listed has no way to feed fuel to the regulator and injectors, it just caps the end of the line. The TBI pump should make 30-ish lbs minimum with no regulator. If the fuel could bypass the gauge to the regulator, then yes, that 13-14 psi is what you are looking for.

Edit: also, be sure to check (or just change for good measure) your fuel filter. It will run with it pretty clogged, but there gets to a point that it can't get enough fuel thru it.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
The gauge that is listed has no way to feed fuel to the regulator and injectors, it just caps the end of the line. The TBI pump should make 30-ish lbs minimum with no regulator. If the fuel could bypass the gauge to the regulator, then yes, that 13-14 psi is what you are looking for.

Edit: also, be sure to check (or just change for good measure) your fuel filter. It will run with it pretty clogged, but there gets to a point that it can't get enough fuel thru it.

The gauge he posted has an adapter that fits inline between the filter (or throttle body) and the fuel line. It can be used both ways.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

zgraham

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I have order the pressure checker and a new fuel filter. I am sure I will have lots more questions when it comes in. Thanks again guys.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

The gauge he posted has an adapter that fits inline between the filter (or throttle body) and the fuel line. It can be used both ways.

Sent from my Nintendo 64
Yes. That adapter is meant to go in line between the filter and fuel line and should be running 13-14psi when doing so.

-via Mobile

98_k1500

Reaction score
Sorry about that, i thought it had a schrader valve in both the side and the end of it. If it goes inline just before the filter, then yes. 9-13 is the factory spec. (13-15 would be ideal)