Fuel Pump???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys. So since I bought the truck in Febuary, when I shut the truck off or turn the key to 'on' the fuel pump has a distinctive 'EEEEEEEE' whine for about 5 seconds, then it goes away. It also does it at idle. I can hear the same sound when the truck is runnign. I have had two of my mechanic buddies tell me that my fuel pump was gonna need replacement soon. For the past week or so, when the truck is cold, it takes as long as ten seconds to crank before it starts. Runs/drives fine. Tried Lucas injector cleaner/fuel treatment with no help. Is my fuel pump going bad? I have always ran the truck with at LEAST 1/4 tank, but I don't know about the last owner. The pump was replaced at 100K with a genuine ACDelco unit. Truck has 150K now. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I would worry too much about it. I have an aftermarket pump in and it whines after the truck shuts off for a few seconds. If you are going to drop the tank to replace that pump, personally i'd get rid of the in-tank deal and mount an aftermarket electrical pump to the frame rail and put a piece of steel line in lieu of the in-tank pump...that's just me and that's what I did...then if that damn thing dies it should only be a 15-20 minute affair to replace it instead of dropping the tank. guess you could always cut an access hole through the bed of your truck...

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
All Vortec pumps make that noise. It because of the high pressure ~60-65 PSI for the central port injection. Your cold start problem sounds like the classic stuck open poppet nozzle, or a cracked injector tube. CPI is well known for this.

unstable

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah I didn't realize you had EFI...no cheap aftermarket pump for those kinds of pressures.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
If you do replace it, I've done it both ways by dropping the tank and removing the bed and removing the bed is far easier to deal with especially if you have a couple buddies handy.

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the heads up. Is the CPI fix a hard/expensive one? I will be driving 3-4 hours to college so I want to get it fixed before late August when I leave.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
You have to pull apart the manifold to fix the CPI in most cases. It's not terrible, but it does take a while.

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd change the fuel filter first & see if that stops the whining from the pump.Alot of times ethanol gas attacts moisture & when you add a cleaner in the tank all the crap gets clogged in the filter

Kraziken

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I would worry too much about it. I have an aftermarket pump in and it whines after the truck shuts off for a few seconds. If you are going to drop the tank to replace that pump, personally i'd get rid of the in-tank deal and mount an aftermarket electrical pump to the frame rail and put a piece of steel line in lieu of the in-tank pump...that's just me and that's what I did...then if that damn thing dies it should only be a 15-20 minute affair to replace it instead of dropping the tank. guess you could always cut an access hole through the bed of your truck...

Any more details or maybe pics of where you mounted? What aftermarket pump did you use?

My rig is a light use, weekend use vehilcle. I've had the Burb for almost two years, and I've had this behavior of twitchy gas gauge needle and very loud fuel pump.