Fuel pump issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D-93-b

Reaction score
So I had about 2 gallons of water put in my gas tank, didn't know that until after I started it. Siphoned the tank, turned the key while someone held down the bleeder. Next day I changed the filter, now the pump won't run. I pulled the bed, unplugged and checked the power at the pump with a test light, barley lights it up with key on like it's getting little power.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pump motor seized? Huge current (amperage) draw results in low voltage.

Or coincidence? High resistance in the electrical system upstream results in low voltage, pump won't run.

If you have low voltage with the pump UNPLUGGED, you have problems upstream.

D-93-b

Reaction score
If I unplug the pump and check voltage with a meter, what reading should I get with the key on?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plug in meter, turn key from "Off" to "Run". Should have battery voltage for two seconds. Turn key off. Wait 15 seconds. Turn key on. Battery voltage for two seconds.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using the fuel pump to drain the tank is not a good idea. Fuel pumps don't run well unrestricted. The Air Force has a piece of equipment that uses a Holley blue fuel pump, and I've seen way too many technicians think they'll take a short cut and grab one out of benchstock along with some hose and a battery to drain a fuel tank. A brand new pump typically lasts about an hour pumping like that. $50 of your tax money, wasted.

I'd check to see if you have power to the pump, and if you do, your pump is bad.

D-93-b

Reaction score
I pulled the pump, wires where fried. My dad's got a parts truck which is an 03 z71. I pulled the pump from it, swapped the motor from his assembly to mine because they are the same motor, I've got pumping fuel now. Pump kicks on at prime, and runs when cranking. Seems like it's got low pressure when I pressed the bleeder check. Still won't start without pouring a little fuel in the throttle body, but I'm thinking it's still got Watters gas I. The system to burn off before it'll run properly. I need to go get a pressure Guage today and check it the right way. Any thoughts?