Fuel level help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having a problem knowing how much fuel I actually have in my tank. I ran out of gas with the gauge showing 1/4 tank. So I filled up 5 gal and 2 gal cans and it made the gauge show completely empty. Drove it to the store and put 25 bucks more in for a total of 16 gallons. Now it shows 1/4 tank, but it should be closer to 1/2. Could it be the gauge or the pump electronics?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably the float, it's part of the fuel pump assembly. Were I you, I'd pull the bed or take the bolts out on the tank/filler side and loosen them on the other and prop the box up, then you can test the components with a meter, could also be a wiring issue, I doubt it's the gauge. I had a similar issue on my suburban, I didn't have the luxury of pulling a bed, had to drop the tank and spilled 20 gallons of fuel i didn't know i had, a new pump assembly fixed the issue for me.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I had replaced the seal for the fuel pump last year, cause it would spill all over to the ground if I filled it up. I inspected the pump and didn't notice anything wrong other than brownish tint on it