HELP- Fuel Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how an in-tank fuel pump with a bypass return line at the TB can get "vapor lock". I'm declaring bull$hit.
Agree. I thought vapor lock only occurred with on-engine fuel pumps pulling gas from tank.
Regardless of whether right or wrong on that I’d also verify electrical before assuming pump is bad.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
If you run an external, do you bypass the in tank pump altogether?
Yes, you just pit a piece of hard line that extends to the bottom of the tank and put a "sock" on it;

I bend the tube so that it lays flat on the bottom and cut the tube on an angle

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The external pump WILL be noisier. I use this one;

You will need two of these;

to connect the dots.

jcain226

Reaction score
UPDATE- Thanks for everyone’s help and feedback!!
Turns out it was a bad fuel pump. Ended up changing it out with a Precision pump and it started right up.
Now to try and get refund for faulty Delphi from Amazon and/or Delphi direct!
Hopefully Precision pump will last a long time!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't ethanol less volatile than gasoline therefor less likely to vaporise and create a vapour lock?
No. Adding 10% ethanol tends to increase the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) by one number, signifying increased volatility.

For example, gasoline rated at RVP of 9, would increase to 10 with 10% ethanol content. In the USA where RVP is regulated, it could be illegal to sell that fuel in the summertime. There's lots of ifs, ands, and buts, and Government typically does whatever the hell it wants. Adding to the confusion, Senile Joe is demanding 15% ethanol 'cause he's too stupid to understand that it's going to void engine manufacturer's warranties and cause all sorts of problems for small engines.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Not stupid. Evil.

He no doubt gets kickbacks from ethanol processing.

On the plus side Frank likes the 15% stuff! Around here it's $.50 less a gallon.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No. Adding 10% ethanol tends to increase the Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) by one number, signifying increased volatility.

For example, gasoline rated at RVP of 9, would increase to 10 with 10% ethanol content.
That I did not know. Pure ethanol has a (substantially) lower RVP than gasoline though. It's combining them that raises the RVP of both. One of those weird anomalies such as creating a liquid from two solids (ice and salt).