Front springs won't seat in the control arm pocket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read post #10.
I have installed springs in bare frames before.
I only use a compressor for struts.

It is also not necessary to remove the control arm bolts.
I've done alot of springs with the control arm in. I have also destroyed alot of control arm bushings
trying to get the bolts out (for other reasons) up here in rust country.
These trucks don’t have struts. Just a spring between the lower control arm and the frame spring pocket. (2WD trucks) 4wd trucks have the torsion bar setup. No coil springs.

Terrys97

Reaction score
Guys. My point is/was a spring compressor is not needed if you unbolt the control arm from the frame. The spring fits right in. All you have to do is jack the control arm back up to the frame and reinstall the pivot bolts. It's super easy and took 10 mins per side, tops on the driveway without a lift or a spring compressor.
I had thought about trying it that way but did not think I could get the lower control arm bolted back. I did the spring compressor way and felt like I was holding a time bomb. I had a chain around spring for safety. I am in no hurry to do front springs again but if I do on another truck will keep this in mind..Thanks!!!

jcain226

Reaction score
Guys. My point is/was a spring compressor is not needed if you unbolt the control arm from the frame. The spring fits right in. All you have to do is jack the control arm back up to the frame and reinstall the pivot bolts. It's super easy and took 10 mins per side, tops on the driveway without a lift or a spring compressor.
Hello- I am trying to do the same job and having trouble getting the spring into the LCA. When you removed the bolts from the LCA, did you leave the front of it connected, or did you just take the entire assy off?