Front Lower Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For instance, my 96 K1500 came with 6GF and 7GF bars. I’ve considered beefing up a bit to 6GG and 7GG. Those torsion bars were used for many years after 96(and before 92-2014)and plenty available.

I had to crop picture, but there were more fitment.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

k20chevy

Reaction score
This is the 6GG part, the yare still out there but GM Parts Direct.com claims discontinued.

19332945​

7GG
For instance, my 96 K1500 came with 6GF and 7GF bars. I’ve considered beefing up a bit to 6GG and 7GG. Those torsion bars were used for many years after 96(and before 92-2014)and plenty available.

I had to crop picture, but there were more fitment.

Do you know if switching bars reeally makes a difference? When I put my GG bars in and used the Moog keys that claim +2 inch lift. I still have a ton of threads I can run the adjusters in. I added a customer 200lb winch bumper and had to crank my bars up quite a few turns to level the truck back out but I still have about 1.25-1.5 inches I could run them in if needed. Being the factory bars, I am curious if lighter bars would give a better ride.

Klutz

Reaction score
I’m looking for lower control arms for a 98 k1500 and seen people are using the AWD Astro vans LCAs. Would those work on my truck? Only other option I got is to rebuild my rusted out junk ones lol

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for lower control arms for a 98 k1500 and seen people are using the AWD Astro vans LCAs. Would those work on my truck? Only other option I got is to rebuild my rusted out junk ones lol
That’s what this whole thread is about.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not find some “forged” LCA’s if you’re going to replace originals?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree with wb292 that they are exactly the same except the 4 threaded holes.
The balljoint looks to be over a 1/2" outboard than the original. Causing a negative camber.
That seems like a lot to make up with the caster camber bolts on the UCA.
I'm not saying they won't work but there is several difference between them.
So…unusable!

Last edited:

97k1500ev

Reaction score
Sorry for they delayed update. It's been about 6 months now. The truck still drives perfect. No pulling to either side. I bought 5 new Goodyear Dura Tracs and I'm very happy with them and the truck. It was well worth the effort. I requested the alignment to get as close as possible to 0 on the camber so my new tires would wear evenly. I realize GM wants +1.5 but the tires wear unevenly like that. It's my daily driver and I drive it about 140miles each day round trip. So I have close to 17,000 miles since this repair. The tires haven't worn much and I rotate all 5 every other oil change.
Hey there @wb292. I have installed the same lower control arms as you, on a 1997 k1500. I have not aligned the truck yet but I have one concern. Will I have turning radius issues? will it be the same turning radius as before?

k20chevy

Reaction score
Hey there @wb292. I have installed the same lower control arms as you, on a 1997 k1500. I have not aligned the truck yet but I have one concern. Will I have turning radius issues? will it be the same turning radius as before?
Did you read my posts on this? You have to do a good amount of grinding on the spindles to get the factory turning radius and the lower control arms where the ball joint bolts on.

97k1500ev

Reaction score
Did you read my posts on this? You have to do a good amount of grinding on the spindles to get the factory turning radius and the lower control arms where the ball joint bolts on.
Thank you for the fast reply, I was hoping I didn’t have to do that since I got the same LCAs as Wb292. MOOG RK641493 MOOG RK641492. Got everything installed yesterday, wish I would have found your post sooner. I will re read your post. Thanks again.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven’t installed these on a newer truck. I’ve read as K20 stated there will need to be some grinding for clearance. Or use a set of Knuckles from a older trunk in pick a part.