Front left brake grabbing befor the other ones...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GroundSpeed

Reaction score
Hey just like the title says, when I step on the brakes the front left grabs and pulls the whole truck to the center line. I've replaced the calipers twice. The wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, etc. are all good. Someone was telling me there's a "proportioning valve" somewhere and it could be that acting up?
My truck is a '96 2wd

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Bleed the brakes with a tech 2 scan tool to initiate an ABS bleeding cycle. The proportioning valve located with the ABS module shuttles from front to rear circuits, not side to side.

98SilverOtto

Reaction score
I will try that thank you!
GroundSpeed, most of the vehicles I own/ have owned have all been GM's. Those rubber flex hoses swell up over time, and I have had to replace a few of them. I'm with those guys! It sounds strange, but cut your old hose in half and look at the walls. Welcome to the forum, I'm a noob too. :)

GroundSpeed

Reaction score
Thanks for the help I will take a look at that this weekend! I've owned my this truck for about a year and a half and before that she was a company truck since day one, so she has lots of character lol! The engine clatters especially when cold (pretty sure its just piston slap), the trans whines in 1st and 2nd (not sure whats up with that!), everything that is rubber pretty much needs to be replaced, there's a couple rotten spots on the frame (I'm a welder so that's no biggie), steering box is loose (I've done both adjustments but it's too wore out). But it still feels solid and pulls hard believe it or not!

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey just like the title says, when I step on the brakes the front left grabs and pulls the whole truck to the center line. I've replaced the calipers twice. The wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints, etc. are all good. Someone was telling me there's a "proportioning valve" somewhere and it could be that acting up?
My truck is a '96 2wd

How much mag chloride and/or salt on the roads in Ontario? When my trucks start pulling it often means a caliper is hanging up. Time to grease the slides on the knuckle. It's best if you knock any rust off the mating surfaces of the calipers and knuckles with a wire wheel and sand them a bit before applying grease. I've been using the Permatex "Ceramic Extreme" purple stuff with success (part # 765-1831).

Check both sides. Sometimes if the truck is pulling one way it may mean the opposite caliper isn't providing as much braking power.

GroundSpeed

Reaction score
How much mag chloride and/or salt on the roads in Ontario? When my trucks start pulling it often means a caliper is hanging up. Time to grease the slides on the knuckle. It's best if you knock any rust off the mating surfaces of the calipers and knuckles with a wire wheel and sand them a bit before applying grease. I've been using the Permatex "Ceramic Extreme" purple stuff with success (part # 765-1831).

Check both sides. Sometimes if the truck is pulling one way it may mean the opposite caliper isn't providing as much braking power.

LOTS unfortunately. But yea I've already done that, I think I'm going to try that grease you suggested I use the Permatex Ultra slick (maybe Super slick I can't remember). The Ceramic Extreme sounds alot tougher.