Front diff need modifier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hijack>>
Is there a method for flushing the front diff? My 93 has one I picked up from the scrap yard because I needed one to match my rear and I remember it having some water in it with milky sludge when I drained it.. . Pulling the driver's side seal today, I looked in there with a scope to check out the c clip and noticed remnants of cream here and there inside.

cdone

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I haven't worked on this specific diff.

With that out of the way, normally you just pull the cover, let it drain out, seal it up with RTV and re-fill it. Some diffs might have a drain plug though I'm not sure I've seen one. If it's really nasty inside maybe spray it out with brake cleaner or something that will evaporate completely, follow that with compressed air to get any remaining grit out, and THEN re-seal and re-fill. If you don't want to break the seal on the cover, you could try sucking the old fluid out (large syringe and vinyl/silicone tube or whatever you have around). Sounds annoying though. :⁠-⁠)

Good luck!

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks..... Wasn't sure if I could fill it with something then drain.....
I have only used the 4wd for a few minutes since this has been installed/drained/refilled so I feel pretty good it'll be ok if I can get everything clean. Nothing crazy looking inside as far as corrosion or anything. Not sure how water got in there in the first place. Maybe truck was submerged or they had the diff laying in the bed of the truck or outside at the scrapyard. Pretty sure they had to pull it though...

Last edited:

cdone

Reaction score
There is no "cover" on an IFS front differential.

You could play games with aerosol brake cleaner in the fill hole, with the drain plug removed.

Or fill with fresh fluid, run it for a few days, and then drain and re-fill.
Heh... Told you I hadn't worked on that diff. :)

With just a fill and drain hole, I'd probably do exactly as you mention here - fill, run for a while (maybe 500 miles or something, maybe not even that), then drain and re-fill. If I were *really* concerned about other substances in it, I might break out the brake cleaner (I would use the newer, less cancery, Acetone-based cleaner) and compressed air, but I would probably really reserve that for if I thought there were solids that might get into the bearings/gears and cause problems... and at that point I'd be tempted to pull it and give it a thorough tear-down, cleaning, and new bearings "just because." But I've also been accused of overkill at times. :)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Id probably shoot a can of brake cleaner inside and then stick an air nozzle in the fill hole, then let it drip out for awhile.....or not worry about it. I pressure washed the inside of my rear axle and it's at 300k miles now.

Speaking of front axles with diff covers I've wondered if swapping in a newer differential with the cover from a newer Chevy would be advantages in any way....or even possible.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Acetone or Brake Cleaner will not dissolve/clean heavyweight oils/sludge efficiently. Use a degreaser.