Front Coilovers for GMT400 < $350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea well, I like being different. I decided the last couple of days I will be building my own watts link too. Not the ones you see with bagged trucks, I mean a chassis mounted pivot, with links attached to the axles. Hopefully I can embarrass some guy in a Porsche at the Autocross track this summer.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea well, I like being different. I decided the last couple of days I will be building my own watts link too. Not the ones you see with bagged trucks, I mean a chassis mounted pivot, with links attached to the axles. Hopefully I can embarrass some guy in a Porsche at the Autocross track this summer.

thats always a good time

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really don't want to go down that road unless I have to. I had solid motor mounts in the goat and that was the final straw for my wife. She said it made the car ride worse, and the engine noise louder. Gonna stay away from that if possible.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I wasn't recommending the solid motor mounts, I was saying that was the reason I switched to dry sump, because of clearance issues. Dry sump will cure your clearance issue you were wondering about. :D

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gotcha if it comes to that I'll look into it but it's a little pricey.

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all the weight of the front end is placed on those (4) shock mounting bolts... i WOULD NOT think this is safe. any pothole could ruin your day with your shock falling out the bottom and spring dropping down, you would bottom out and could lose control.

safety first.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all the weight of the front end is placed on those (4) shock mounting bolts... i WOULD NOT think this is safe. any pothole could ruin your day with your shock falling out the bottom and spring dropping down, you would bottom out and could lose control.

safety first.

Hate to burst your bubble but your shocks now are sitting on the same bolts. And for the record shocks do not carry weight, they just control how fast the springs load and unload, springs carry the weight :)

nine4gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all that you said is correct. what you fail to realize is, the oem spring sits in special designed cups in the lower control arm holding up your vehicle at ride height. you can remove your factory shocks and the height will not change, they are only there to stabilize the spring action. however, if you remove the spring and leave the shocks, your truck will sag proving the weight is on the oem coils.

when you bolted that coilover on, your frame weight is on the top of the coilover spring but the bottom of that spring is sitting on the coil adjuster, which in turn is pressing on the two attaching bolts. all of the front vehicle weight is on those two bolts per side.

you loose. coilovers on a stock control arm is completely unsafe. you would need lower arms designed for coilovers instead of coils..