Front axle upgrade options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Polloso

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new here and recently bought a 89' silverado K1500. Im in the middle of a fairly serious overhaul of the entire vehicle. Ive just completed painting the entire frame with POR-15 and am reassembling the front end before i install the new engine and trans combo. The original front diff was pretty loud and had awful oil in it so I found an entire replacement 8.25 with the same gear ratio. Not until after i got the new front diff (out of a 2000 tahoe) did I notice that i do not have provisions on the axle tube for the front axle solenoid. After researching the one I bought I realized it uses the newer 5 pin single electric harness.
My question am I screwed or is there an updated harness/actuator that will work. Thanks for any help!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You could cheap out and swap the iron side onto the newer diff. I bastardized the front diff in my 1500 this way to keep the newer actuator style on my 98 as I'd found a TBI truck with 4.10s in the pull and pay. Updating to the newer style actuator and wiring is definitely the better option here though.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just repinning and rewiring the plug will make the actuator work. There is a wire that have to run to the transmission area