front axle housing vote!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok im trying to help my sister out with her 97 K1500. more info on the truck...its blue lol thats just a joke. but i need to fix the front axle housing. it needs the bearings on the driver side where the cv shaft flange mounts. i have never done that before. so would it be easier/ cheaper to replace the hole housing or just fix the bearings. i know all about getting the housing out if i need to but the bearing replacement itself i have never done. its for sure and internal problem. you can grab the cv shaft and wiggle the flang going into the housing alot more than you should be able to if at all. any help or advice would be great guys! thanks.

Cajun4x4

The Green Seal
Reaction score
never done it before but i would definitely just replace the bearing... unless you can find a used diff with the same gears for crazy cheap... i think there is a write up on fsc somewhere for a front diff re-gear and they might have done the bearings at the same time. its worth a shot looking it up, and/or trying to find a purpose based write up somewhere

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes the guy has two 342s and one 373 gear fronts. all 60 bucks a pop. he says they are good but i have yet to see them in person.