From a 305 tbi to a 383 stroker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chimneyman

Reaction score
I just joined last Friday and currently have an 88 Chevrolet c1500 frame off restoration. It's a rolling chassis at this time, but I have a question about my motor. It came stock with 305. My mechanic told me he could build me a 383 stroker and still allow me to keep my tbi with a few modifications. Has anyone done this before and what could I be looking at. I know I could probably go with the fitech and work fine but he told me I could keep stock tbi. I guess my skepticism is coming from my lack of knowledge. Thanks in advance for all the advice.

chimneyman

Reaction score
i just remembered this stuff from when i had my '90 blazer

http://tbichips.com/truckmods.htm/
http://tbichips.com/?page_id=118

how much is this operation going to cost you....and what is the purpose of the truck?

/
The purpose of the truck is for mainly cruising and show. I thought about just rebuilding my 305, but when it's done I'll still have a 305. Although I'm not going to pull anything with it, if someone did decide to buy it I feel like the 305 would be a turn off. As of now I don't plan on getting rid of it. My mechanic/friend said he could build the 383 for me for about $2,500 without the mods to make the tbi work.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
what will the cost of all the "mods"?
off the top of my head i would think you'd need to address the TB /injectors, computer work, air intake, exhaust. probably need a bigger radiator.....plus the labor cost to do the complete job.....and then there's always the "while yer in there" ****.

when my L31 went i swapped in a GM Perf HT383E.it could have been a "bolt in", but that motor definitely responds to some "tweeking" and add ons.......

you may find that after all is said and done there may be different swaps you could do for the same money.

i'm not a car "car engine" builder, but i do understand you can't get an additional 78 cubic inches very cheap. i'd get a TOTAL price of the COMPLET job, then look at your options......