Fried Fuse Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Va6622

Reaction score
I have an '89 Silverado with a 5.7L automatic. I was looking at the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side for a speedometer related issue when I noticed the middle of the fuse block was melted. It was melted when I bought the truck. It looks like someone may have installed a CB radio at one time. The truck runs fine, (minus the speedo issue). Unfortunately, it looks like there is no "quick disconnect" on the back. I am trying to change the box and need to find out how to disconnect the wires from the back. Also would like to know where I can get a replacement. New or used.

Attachments

• fuse block.jpg
    fuse block.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 28

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I might have a complete harness with fuse box in the garage from an '89. I can look on Sunday when I get back from camp if you are interested.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an '89 Silverado with a 5.7L automatic. I was looking at the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side for a speedometer related issue when I noticed the middle of the fuse block was melted. It was melted when I bought the truck. It looks like someone may have installed a CB radio at one time. The truck runs fine, (minus the speedo issue). Unfortunately, it looks like there is no "quick disconnect" on the back. I am trying to change the box and need to find out how to disconnect the wires from the back. Also would like to know where I can get a replacement. New or used.
Damn, that looks like previous owner got sick of fuse blowing and replaced it with a paper clip or something to get home. It would have had to get real hot to do so much damage.

Va6622

Reaction score
Somehow I thought I could just take the wires from the back of the bad fuse box and reattach them to a new box. Since this doesn't have a release on the back of the box to unplug all of the wires, how do you go about reattaching the wires on the other end of the harness?

Chuck71

Reaction score
I might have a complete harness with fuse box in the garage from an '89. I can look on Sunday when I get back from camp if you are interested.
Need Suggestions.

I have a 1999 Chevy GMC GMT-400 Dually 7.4L Extended Cab Long Bed 1 Ton Truck.

I need to replace the Fuse Box Unit. I discovered that the fuse box was burnt underneath.

I would like to the replace the entire Fuse Box Unit and wires.

Is it possible to replace the Fuse Box Unit and disconnect the plug of wires?

Is it possible to purchase the entire Fuse Box with the wires attached? Is there a way to disconnect the Fuse Box wires harness?

If so, where is the plug located under the hood to disconnect the entire Fuse Box Unit and wire harness?

I would appreciate your help.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
Need Suggestions.

I need to replace the Fuse Box Unit. I discovered that the fuse box was burnt underneath.

Is it possible to purchase the entire Fuse Box with the wires attached? Is there a way to disconnect the Fuse Box wires harness?

If so, where is the plug located under the hood to disconnect the entire Fuse Box Unit and wire harness?

You would have to look up the diagram to your year truck

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Need Suggestions.

There's not a disconnect at the fuse box (electrical center) itself; the wires have connector pins crimped on that plug directly into cavities in the fuse box. Is the whole thing damaged or just a particular circuit?

If it's unrecoverable toast, your potential donor trucks are probably going to be 1998-2000 GMT400 models.

The harnesses disconnect at a few main points like at the driver side firewall, and at the PCM, and of course all the various sensors and a few points in between.

Richard