Freeze Plug Repair - Dorman Quick Seal Rubber Expansion Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1994chevycheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How to repair a leaking freeze plug with a Dorman Quick Seal Rubber Expansion Plug in a 1994 Chevy Cheyenne C1500.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think those plugs are for the casting process, not freezing. Never lost one up here in The Great White North. Take Off Eh. Have to be a Kunuck to get that zing. All Fun.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT! Rubber freeze plugs are garbage. If you have to pull the motor to replace the freeze plug, guess what you need to do. The only way I'd ever use a rubber freeze plug is if the truck were stranded a hundred miles from nowhere and I needed to drive it to the nearest town to put in a metal plug. Even then, I'd just try and get a tow.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
DON'T DO IT! Rubber freeze plugs are garbage. If you have to pull the motor to replace the freeze plug, guess what you need to do. The only way I'd ever use a rubber freeze plug is if the truck were stranded a hundred miles from nowhere and I needed to drive it to the nearest town to put in a metal plug. Even then, I'd just try and get a tow.
Agreed, and I speak from experience. I've used them in a pinch. They're OK for a temporary repair; they aren't suitable to rely on as a permanent fix. And man, if they get crooked and swell up like that, they can be nearly impossible to remove, and the whole while it's sitting there dripping coolant on your face while you're fighting to pry it out of the block. Been there, done that, screw that.

Richard

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never put a rubber freeze plug in, but have put in block heaters before, which had a rubber expanding seal similar (?) to a rubber freeze plug - never had any problems with them. Maybe I was just lucky...