PSA for camshaft expansion plugs+ flex plate!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will say it again, there is zero need to prime for minutes at a time if adequate assembly lube is used. I use Lucas designed to protect parts on startup. Oil pressure will come up instantly and air will purge from the lifters just as instantly. I do soak the rollers of the lifters overnight.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok, so you do get it. As what's being discussed many people prime one to no end rotating one around trying. Generally prime one with the intake off, when I see oil at the cam bearings I'm pretty much done. Kinda like the pic you posted of the SBC being done that way.
Gotcha, yeah, that was a picture showing what happens using the incorrect priming tool. That style priming tool really only primes the pump, rear main, and the filter. FWIW on a SBC it can also push oil to the driver's side lifter gallery, but it doesn't seal off the oil galleries so oil is not able to flow to the passenger side.

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will say it again, there is zero need to prime for minutes at a time if adequate assembly lube is used. I use Lucas designed to protect parts on startup. Oil pressure will come up instantly and air will purge from the lifters just as instantly. I do soak the rollers of the lifters overnight.
When you say there is "zero need to prime for minutes" what are you basing this on? To say that you have to disregard the recommendations of AERA, Chevrolet, and Clevite.

Out of curiosity, (on a fresh rebuild and I think you said you prime just until you get oil pressure and then stop) Have you ever timed how long it takes for the oil to purge air out of all the lifters and get to the rockers?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you say there is "zero need to prime for minutes" what are you basing this on? To say that you have to disregard the recommendations of AERA, Chevrolet, and Clevite.

Out of curiosity, (on a fresh rebuild and I think you said you prime just until you get oil pressure and then stop) Have you ever timed how long it takes for the oil to purge air out of all the lifters and get to the rockers?

Never have timed it, but it is practically instantly and largely irrelevant since I lubricate the pushrod ends, rocker pivots and valve tips anyway. My first startup usually has adjustment valve covers on it anyway. You can see the rockers start to oil nearly immediately.

I trust experience over some recomeendation written by a paper pusher.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You run solid lifters, so adjusting hot lash?

If you're running hydraulic lifters, why are you adjusting them a second time?
Hydraulics usually but I find it much easier to do a running adjustment. I find the method in the service manual will get them running, but does not provide a consistent plunger depth.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assembly lube is not designed to create the hydrodynamic wedge needed to keep the crank/rods/and cam from touching the bearings in a running engine. Recommended best practice is to prime the engine for 3 minutes in order to flush as much of the assembly lube out of the bearing clearances as possible and to ensure that fresh oil can reach the parts as quickly as possible. Good clean oil is the best protection for bearings and parts in a running engine and the sooner it can get there the better. If oil wasn't the best at this, Clevite would recommend filling the pan with assembly lube instead of oil.
What are you using for assembly lube? I use Marvel Mystery Oil and 5w30 in a 1:1 ratio. My only deviation was to use cam lube for a flat-tappet cam, but no more flat-tappets for me. As I mentioned anecdotally earlier, engines run just fine without being pumped full of oil. That hydrodynamic wedge becomes critical when you put a load on them. Priming provides a safety margin, but even without it engines can be fired up without real issue. I'm old enough to remember priming the oil being a "pro tip".

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What are you using for assembly lube? I use Marvel Mystery Oil and 5w30 in a 1:1 ratio. My only deviation was to use cam lube for a flat-tappet cam, but no more flat-tappets for me.
I agree, I prefer rollers if it can be afforded. Flat tappet cams are still good cams depending on what you're building, especially if they've been nitrided.

For cam lobes, lifter, distributor gear, rocker, pushrod, etc. I use a Calcium Sulfonate based grease. Currently using Driven Assembly Grease. Lucas makes a good assembly grease as well.

For bearings, I use regular assembly lube, Lucas currently. Just something that'll stick well cause you never know how long the engine will sit around it finally gets installed.