Forward locked up but reverse works

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started the truck up today, let it warm up a little, then put it in gear. I was going to pull it into garage so that I could work on the plow. Forward seems to bind up, as if the brake is locked. Put in reverse, and it goes, but not in any forward gears. When in drive, or any forward gear, if I give it any gas, its as if I'm stepping on the brake at the same time.

Transmission was said to have been rebuilt about a year ago.

I just jacked up the rear end. The driver side wheel spun forward while the passenger side wheel spun in reverse. Then I stopped spinning the wheels and now neither turn. Took the diff cover off to examine the gears, oil is very black, but internals look OK.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, so here is when things get interesting.

With the rear in the air, I started the truck, put it in gear, driver side started spinning. I couldnt see the pass side. However, after letting of the brake a little and letting the RPMs get up a little, I heard a slight clunk coming from the rear so i pressed brake and stopped everything.

Put the transmission in N while running and the driver side wheel spins on its own, very slowly, but there is spin. I'm able to stop it by hand and spin it manually.

Shut the truck off and put the TC in neutral. Driver side wheel still spins by hand, but the pass wide wheel is locked! Won't spin AT ALL!

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
False Alarm! Its the pass side brake...

The cylinder is leaking and the shoes are moving around in there. They locked up the drum. Time for a brake job.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look on the drum itself, somewhere on it should be a max diameter number. If its less than 11 get 10" ones. More than 11 then you need the bigger ones..

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No way I can read what the drums say... looks like it says max dia 200... but that could be wrong.

Drums look fine, so I'd rather not replace. If I do, I'd need backing plates too, no?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nope.

Backing plates do not need to be replaced to put new drums on.

More important is the measurement for wear.

gordinho80

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Which measurement should I go by?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That is a lot of oil.....

I do believe the larger brakes are for the semi floater axles.

Don't quote me on that though.

The brake shoe surface is the usual point for measurements...