Ford 9" for our trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seems like an expensive idea!!! Lol
Probably another grand for the 3rd member plus whatever for brakes. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to do it, but if I had the $$$ it would definitely be on my radar for sure.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you ever seen The Driveway Engineer on YouTube? He did something similar with a Ford 9.75 rear axle and swapped it in his 1979 Chevrolet C10. He had a machine shop redrill the stud holes to fit GM wheels and welded new shock mounts and leaf spring perches on the axle to fit his truck.

If I wasn't having a shop swap my axle rn and if I had a welder, I'd consider this. However, I know that K2XX (2014-2018/19) trucks have a GM version of a 9.75 rear axle. If they didn't cost so much money, I'd also consider this as well.

Right now I'm having a shop swap a 14 bolt 9.5in SF non Gov Lock rear axle in for my 10 bolt 8.5 inch that rotted away. After 2 10 bolts rot away I was done with these rear axles and wanted something better. I know that a 14b SF is what everyone does, but it seems like these rear axles never go bad so it would be the most logical way to go.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a horrible deal, but not great either. It's good for someone that doesn't have a welder or a machine shop around to redrill the bolt pattern. I put a 9" in a 78 malibu I had, but was already done, just had to redrill the bolt pattern. There's trucks out there still with these axles, so finding one won't be hard. But finding one with an N case gonna be tough lol.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes gear changes easy. Heaps and piles of available gear ratios.

In terms of strength, the plain ol' 14-bolt semi-float is almost certainly stronger in stock form, and if you can get one with suitable gears and usable brake drums/backing plates at the Treasure Yard, far less expensive even if you had to install a posi/locking differential into it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 9" is a good upgrade for racing. It's lighter than the 14 bolt and doesn't have c-clips. The dropped pinion and additional pinion support give it serious strength, but the dropped pinion also robs a bit of power. If you're racing and can't get a 10 bolt to survive, this looks like a good option.