Flickering electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 k1500 has flickering lights all around. Headlights, dash and even the fuel pump sounds like it’s going in and out with the lights. It has a new battery and the alternator has not been checked. Electrical power is good. All connections are tight on the battery. Starts up just fine and runs just fine. Any reason as to why the lights are doing that?

TIA
David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check the alt, and be sure the grounds are good too.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 on the alternator. My Suburban has been doing the same thing for a year or so and I just discovered that my alternator is on it's way out. (Pulled the belt and spun it, it has a bad squeak and a weird feeling spot in the rotation) I haven't had a chance to replace it yet but I'm willing to bet that will solve the issue.

Definitely check your cables too, though.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I see lights acting oddly I tend to think "grounds" . The alternator may very well be on the way out but I suspect a ground may be an issue as well. Let us know what you find.

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thx guys. Give me a few days and I’ll get back to y’all.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had tight connections on my Suburban, but it would randomly lose power and stall out. I finally cut the cable ends and put top-post terminals on the battery cables. Fixed it. When I started building my Stepside, that was the first mod I did.

Dre319

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I took the alternator off and had it tested. They said it was good. They even started to put it back on and test it on the truck. So I did. Well it shows good and wouldn’t you know it, there was no flickering of any kind.
I’m wondering if disconnecting the battery and the alternator did something. Like not too great of a connection.
Well I hope that took care of it and time will tell. Thanks everyone.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your alternator had a bad connection, your battery would hide it.

Side posts are the devil. Whatever GM engineer got a bonus for 'inventing' a new proprietary 'battery connection system' should have been taken out back and beaten. Whoever approved it as standard for all GM vehicles should have been fired. Whatever management let that travesty continue for twenty years should have been dropped on a deserted island. Probably the same people who drove GM to bailouts.