Flex plate help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fowler3318

Reaction score
First of all sorry if I didn’t see this info elsewhere. I am looking at purchasing a suburban 2500 obs. I did find a 95 1500 with the 6.5 in a color scheme that is very nostalgic for me. The only big issue is, they are telling me the flex plate is bad. I’m not seeing a gmt400 YouTube video on doing this work. In the past, I have been a Jeep 4.0 guy, so I’m pretty handy when it comes to working on vehicles. Can anyone link a video? Will a rock auto flex plate last or should I go high quality? It’ll never be used for heavy towing. What other parts should I address while I have it taken apart? Thanks for any advice.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First of all sorry if I didn’t see this info elsewhere. I am looking at purchasing a suburban 2500 obs. I did find a 95 1500 with the 6.5 in a color scheme that is very nostalgic for me. The only big issue is, they are telling me the flex plate is bad. I’m not seeing a gmt400 YouTube video on doing this work. In the past, I have been a Jeep 4.0 guy, so I’m pretty handy when it comes to working on vehicles. Can anyone link a video? Will a rock auto flex plate last or should I go high quality? It’ll never be used for heavy towing. What other parts should I address while I have it taken apart? Thanks for any advice.
never say never, go for a quality part if you can. Trans has to come out to do the job so..........

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your wrench savy, it's straight forward. Unbolt torque converter and drop trans.
There's normally a access cover. When you get underneath you'll see it. 2wd right?
Also normally the rear main seal is bad and leaking. Best time to do it

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only big issue is, they are telling me the flex plate is bad.
And you trust the seller? Which truck has the bad flex plate, the Suburban or the diesel truck? Doh! I got it now - you're looking for a C/K2500 Suburban and found a '95 Suburban C/K1500 with a 6.5. The 6.5 is notoriously bad. There are some people who love them, but they're masochists. I'd look for a gas 2500.

Will a rock auto flex plate last or should I go high quality?
RockAuto sells quality parts, and they sell junk. Stick with a quality brand and you'll be okay. Personally, I'm a fan of junkyard parts.

Fowler3318

Reaction score
I would prefer gas. I just want the better tranny. The color is that green beige green and it’s a favorite of mine. I have zero diesel knowledge so it’d have to be at a good price.

Thanks for all the info

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to your first posts on the forum.

I personally would run, color scheme or not, from a 6.5 but maybe you like pain. Stick with what you are looking for and do not settle. I would do the diagnostics first on whether the flex plate is bad or not. Maybe the head gaskets are weak and sometimes coolant gets in the cylinders and the hydro lock caused a crack in the flex plate when cranking engine. A new flex plate will only last for a short period, if that is the case.

Find yourself a big block and have fun.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't go wrong with a Pioneer brand flexplate. Fairly priced too.

I'd usually spring for the few extra bucks a Heavy Duty version costs; although doubtful Pioneer offers HD for 1995 6.5L.

l1lartur0

Reaction score
Welcome to your first posts on the forum.

I personally would run, color scheme or not, from a 6.5 but maybe you like pain. Stick with what you are looking for and do not settle. I would do the diagnostics first on whether the flex plate is bad or not. Maybe the head gaskets are weak and sometimes coolant gets in the cylinders and the hydro lock caused a crack in the flex plate when cranking engine. A new flex plate will only last for a short period, if that is the case.

Find yourself a big block and have fun.
x2. Don't end up with buyer's regret. Take your time and eventually you'll find what you want. Good luck!