First Chevy Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
New member, picked up a 93 k1500 4x4 4.3 tbi , 4l60e, 217k . It has a lot of new parts on it. Looks like its never been off road, no rust, straight body. I think it may be about to spin a bearing though we shall see.
You must be registered for see images attach

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulletproof it. I plan to use it for pulling a lake hopper boat up and down the back roads in search of fun,adventure, backup vehicle and, truck stuff. It has a lot of new parts on it. Whole A/C system is new, new gas tank and fuel pump, tires are new. The belt tensioner pulley and muffler were shot when I bought it and I think I may have missed a spun bearing tapping. Oh well, I was hoping to get a year out of it before pulling the motor.

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I have always liked this gmt400 body style and low maintenance tbi design. Been looking for a while, glad I found this one even if I have to swap the motor ahead of plans.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My first GMT 400 was a 93 LWB WT. It had a 4.3L. I sold it to a co worker who begged me for it. When the trans quit on my @275,000 miles, I called him up, and said come get it. I had it for 10 years. It was a grate truck. He had the trans remand. Last I heard, the truck was still on the road with well over 300,000 miles. If you have to do an engine swap, you could always do a 350 or a 383 stroker. If you want the gas millage, you can always go back with another 4.3L. Your options are wide open, almost any GM engine will fit under the hood.
You must be registered for see images attach

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not looking to race,mud bogging or anything like that. Just solid and dependable. I am thinking reman 4.3 or 305. From what I can find its pretty much swap and go. I have swapped and replaced air cooled VW motors never done a truck motor though. Shop wants a grand at least, guy at work says 600 drop it off on friday pick it up on monday. However, with remans, you hear the horror stories no matter what company supplies it.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is only 10 HP difference between a 305 and a 4.3L. To go from v6 to v8, will mean a ECM swap as well. If you are going to all that trouble, then a 350 is the way to go. The 350 is a lot better engine. For what you want to do though, 4.3l is most likely all you need. There are several automotive machine shops here where I live, that will build an engine like you want, at a reasonable price. I know there are some like that in FLA. Do some research, and find a good shop in your area, and take it from there. Very few mechanics do machine work. Most will pull an engine, and get an automotive machine shop do the machine work for them, and pass along this cost.

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on Kenny!!! Jasper 2500 for all the bells and whistles of a reman, "preferred installer" 4400 to have it installed!!!!