Finally lowered the front 4/6 dropped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoneyBadger

Reaction score
Never used the Eastwood fender roller.
Only because I've been told to stay the hell away from it. Apparently, it's screwed up more fenders than not.
I've been on here long enough to learn that when the real OG guys (I don't consider myself in that group!) say something's no beuno, they're usually right.
Found that out the few times that I didn't listen to their advice.
For instance, doing a 2/4 drop. They said don't do it. I did anyhow.
...and they were right! Doh!
A proper body hammer & dolly + some patience. Don't try to bend the lip all at once. Took me about 3 runs of hammering in either direction.
Start from the center & work out from there.
Only about 8"-10" (16"-20" total) out from the center is all that needs to be done.

mr low... can i ask whats bad about the 2/4 drop?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The front drop was easy. I used spindles for that.
The rear was a PitA.
Did the drop with the truck on a hoist & the box on.
Getting that driver side hangar installed...yeesh!
5 of us in the shop & none of us could get our mitts in there between the gas tank & the frame rail to hold the nuts. Had to get the skinny little office girl to do that. Even then, we had to glue the nut to her one finger 'cause even she couldn't get 2 in there.
Then...the pinion angle. It was way out. I'd just had a set of drop shackles on the truck for a while & the pinion angle was fine. No vibration.
Soon as those front hangars were installed, the vibe was so bad, couldn't drive over 40mph.
Even after going through doing the angle measurement, the degree size of the pinion wedge was not what the angles dictated it should of been.
I had that apart 3 times, installing various degree wedges to get rid of the vibration.
Not only that, but when installing pinion wedges, the centering bolt in the spring pack had to be a longer one with an extended head so as to reach through the wedge down into the locating hole on the diff's spring perch. The kit's instructions mention nothing about the center bolts.
Each time I took all that apart, I had to buy new U bolts as they're torque-to-yield. One time usage only.
Then, after it was all done, it just wasn't low enough. Close, but no cigar. Especially when I was running the 20's on it. Looked 'donk'. Ich!
Everytime I'd walk away & do the look back, it was like..."Damn! So close. It NEEDS mo' lowa!"
I'll never do another 2/4. A lot of work for minimum results.
The 4/6 drop on my black truck was sooo much easier.
...and it just looks better. More 'right'.

Last edited:

HoneyBadger

Reaction score
The front drop was easy. I used spindles for that.
The rear was a PitA.
Did the drop with the truck on a hoist & the box on.
Getting that driver side hangar installed...yeesh!
5 of us in the shop & none of us could get our mitts in there between the gas tank & the frame rail to hold the nuts. Had to get the skinny little office girl to do that. Even then, we had to glue the nut to her one finger 'cause even she couldn't get 2 in there.
Then...the pinion angle. It was way out. I'd just had a set of drop shackles on the truck for a while & the pinion angle was fine. No vibration.
Soon as those front hangars were installed, the vibe was so bad, couldn't drive over 40mph.
Even after going through doing the angle measurement, the degree size of the pinion wedge was not what the angles dictated it should of been.
I had that apart 3 times, installing various degree wedges to get rid of the vibration.
Not only that, but when istalling pinion wedges, the centering bolt in the spring pack had to be a longer one with an extended head so as to reach through the wedge down into the locating hole on the diff's spring perch. The kit's instructions mention nothing about the center bolts.
Each time I took all that apart, I had to buy new U bolts as they're torque-to-yield. One time usage only.
Then, after it was all done, it just wasn't low enough. Close, but no cigar. Especially when I was running the 20's on it. Looked 'donk'. Ich!
Everytime I'd walk away & do the look back, it was like..."Damn! So close. It NEEDS mo' lowa!"
I'll never do another 2/4. A lot of work for minimum results.
The 4/6 drop on my black truck was sooo much easier.
...and it just looks better. More 'right'.

thanks!

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As @sewlow stated the 2/4 drop is a big PITA! I did the belltech 2/4 recently and it came with the shims to fix pinion angle and it does come with the proper length centering bolt as well. The 2/4 is something you have to be really sold on and ready to do before pulling the trigger. It is not everyone's cup of tea and most people regret it and wish they had gone lower. FWIW I love mine.

90lsx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
People that have done the 2/4...don't throw out those front hangars.
Keep them for when you want to go lower! You'll need them for the 4/6 drop.

Mine went straight to the trash pile! I doubt I'll be able to go lower anyways with my wheel setup.

But for most people @sewlow is right keep those things somewhere that they won't be lost or thrown away.