FastOrange: Stage 2 (Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
th350's and 700r4's but if you've not had one apart then how do you know they are certain ones vented and not vented and the trans made for them? I mean I get that you can crawl under and check the yoke but as for trans being made to fit one or the other? I never paid much attention to the yokes either most transmissions I had came without one or I didn't pull them, but the one in the 85 monte carlo, 84 c10, 76 c10, 86 k10, 88 k1500, and yoke I got with a th350, one that I know for sure has a hole, that's the yoke that came with the driveshaft we bought to put in the 85 c10, and the yoke that came with the trans was no hole and now it has a yoke with a hole. So it's been changed. Meaning according to you the trans is made for non vent and it's got a vented yoke in it. I see no issues with it, no leaks or anything. it's got me lost lol.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
th350's and 700r4's but if you've not had one apart then how do you know they are certain ones vented and not vented and the trans made for them?

Because I used to build oem driveshafts for GM. Each shaft would get either a vented or non-vented slip yoke depending on the model being built, which would depend on the vehicle it was going in. I didn't necessarily know what each shaft fit, but shaft XYZ always got slip yoke ABC and if it had the wrong one, it would be a huge deal.

If it didn't matter which slip yoke was used, they'd all be the same. Companies don't make two different parts for the same application.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hmm good info that's what I was looking for some more info on it, and why maybe they done it cuz it's all new to me.

I figured maybe it was broke down to truck vs. cars or 2wd vs. 4 wasn't sure.

I know we swapped ours around, but whther or not that yoke that came with the th350 we got was the right one for it, from gm don't know.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
hmm good info that's what I was looking for some more info on it, and why maybe they done it cuz it's all new to me.

I figured maybe it was broke down to truck vs. cars or 2wd vs. 4 wasn't sure.

I know we swapped ours around, but whther or not that yoke that came with the th350 we got was the right one for it, from gm don't know.

There could be some 2wd/4wd differences going on, but usually the 32 tooth slip yokes were non-vented and the 27 took were vented. Only the vented slip yokes get greased, which is why I'm not sure it's wise to load up a non-vented slip yoke with grease like some guys do, trying to get rid of a clunk. I don't know, but guess, that the grease could find it's way into the transmission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
th350's and 700r4's but if you've not had one apart then how do you know they are certain ones vented and not vented and the trans made for them? I mean I get that you can crawl under and check the yoke but as for trans being made to fit one or the other? I never paid much attention to the yokes either most transmissions I had came without one or I didn't pull them, but the one in the 85 monte carlo, 84 c10, 76 c10, 86 k10, 88 k1500, and yoke I got with a th350, one that I know for sure has a hole, that's the yoke that came with the driveshaft we bought to put in the 85 c10, and the yoke that came with the trans was no hole and now it has a yoke with a hole. So it's been changed. Meaning according to you the trans is made for non vent and it's got a vented yoke in it. I see no issues with it, no leaks or anything. it's got me lost lol.

You gotta remember, Someone has gone through my trans, so maybe the o-ring was taken out. seeing how my trans is really a TH350C but has been converted to a TH350.

Last edited:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I honestly don't think being a c or being converted to a reg. 350 has anything to do with it. I've had both apart and both had the o-ring it's made into the bushing up inside for the yoke. It's actually not even a bushing it's more of a sleeve. I'd bet money that it has a spot for it.

You know it really don't matter anyways, you're gonna do what you want to anyways and sounded like your already had your mind made up. I was just telling you exactly what I had saw before, guys haveing the same leak, and try to glob grease in the hole or silicone to fix it when all it took was the o-ring. Driveshaft comes out, 4 bolts and the speedo cable unhooked and it's done.

So it doesn't matter if it fixes it then it fixes it.

The thing I was trying to say is that you say the "proper" yoke, well if that's the case why did they even have a vented one? they'd all leak if it was because of the yoke. Honestly I think the vented should be for a 4wd where you are flexing off roads and the yoke is in and out, where as 2wd not so much.

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I honestly don't think being a c or being converted to a reg. 350 has anything to do with it. I've had both apart and both had the o-ring it's made into the bushing up inside for the yoke. It's actually not even a bushing it's more of a sleeve. I'd bet money that it has a spot for it.

You know it really don't matter anyways, you're gonna do what you want to anyways and sounded like your already had your mind made up. I was just telling you exactly what I had saw before, guys haveing the same leak, and try to glob grease in the hole or silicone to fix it when all it took was the o-ring. Driveshaft comes out, 4 bolts and the speedo cable unhooked and it's done.

So it doesn't matter if it fixes it then it fixes it.

The thing I was trying to say is that you say the "proper" yoke, well if that's the case why did they even have a vented one? they'd all leak if it was because of the yoke. Honestly I think the vented should be for a 4wd where you are flexing off roads and the yoke is in and out, where as 2wd not so much.

I get what your saying, but i just dont wanna tear into the trans.

And plus being lowered means my DS barely moves, so i none vented will be A-OK.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I get what your saying, but i just dont wanna tear into the trans.

And plus being lowered means my DS barely moves, so i none vented will be A-OK.

The problem is that if the seal is bad, it will probably still leak, just not as bad. I've never done the output seal, but I don't think it's a huge deal. It's not like you've got to pull the transmission all apart. You'll have the truck jacked up and the driveshaft out any way, you may as well do the seal too.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
The problem is that if the seal is bad, it will probably still leak, just not as bad. I've never done the output seal, but I don't think it's a huge deal. It's not like you've got to pull the transmission all apart. You'll have the truck jacked up and the driveshaft out any way, you may as well do the seal too.
Its not leaking from the seal that is on the end of trans, it is leaking from the vent in the middle of the yolk, trans itself is sealed up and is bone dry.