FastOrange: Stage 2 (Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
FastOrange: Stage 2

well, decided i should make a thread for this, after Christmas i have the following plans, the first stage was my 350, and now that its running good, my 4L60E is giving me problems, it cant handle the 350HP in front of it, so in the name of strength and cheapness, im going THM400, i have most of the stuff already, and my truck is heading more and more into the "Non-Daily/Toy" side of things.

-Install THM400 to replace 4L60E
-3500RPM Stall
-Shift Kit
-B&M Unimatic
-Custom Driveshaft

Now i already have everything, minus the shift kit, one problem i have is that the transmission is a BOP bell housing (1970 Pontiac 2+2), and since i already have the transmission im just going to pick up a TCI adapter for the bellhousing.
Solved, dad is letting me use a chevy THM400 we have.

Second issue, Driveshaft is gonna to have to be changed, if it needs to be shortened, i can get my grandpa to do it.

Third Issue, is the crossmember, might just modify the 4L60E one or go with one out a TH400 truck?

Now i know im going to catch flak about dropping the OD tranny, but the truth is, this truck is NOT a daily driver, and its gonna cost me upwards of $900 plus just to get a tranny to hold up to my engine.

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I intend to drop about 2500 at the first of the year to get a well built 4L60E that will hold up to my future plans for the Burb. It's going to stay a DD so I suppose it's a good investment, but still steep.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I intend to drop about 2500 at the first of the year to get a well built 4L60E that will hold up to my future plans for the Burb. It's going to stay a DD so I suppose it's a good investment, but still steep.

IMHO, i would go 4L80E, i would like to stay OD myself, but i have almost all this stuff kicking around, the THM-400 was pulled out about 15 Years ago and has been in the backyard ever since, its going to need a fluid change and im going ot throw a shift kit and 3500 Stall init, but im sure it will hold my 350.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seriously considered it, but along with wiring, tune, and driveshaft mods necessary to make the transition, I'd have to have the money to buy the thing. Just too much cash at the moment, while I can get a 4L60E built to hold the power with a warranty from a reputable shop for 2500 - 3000. If you can point me to a 4l80 that's well built and the other stuff for that money, I'm all ears!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I've seriously considered it, but along with wiring, tune, and driveshaft mods necessary to make the transition, I'd have to have the money to buy the thing. Just too much cash at the moment, while I can get a 4L60E built to hold the power with a warranty from a reputable shop for 2500 - 3000. If you can point me to a 4l80 that's well built and the other stuff for that money, I'm all ears!
how much power are u going to be pushing.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eventually around 350hp and 400-500ftlbs of torque at the flywheel.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
why are u getting a custom drive shaft?

and man u aint gona get **** outa that stall ,,unless u do something to make u be puchin close to 500hp

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Six months unlimited miles, you break it they fix it. You can hammer on it as long and hard as you want as long as you aren't exceeding their torque ratings for the tranny. I figure if it doesn't break in the first six months of ownership it should be ok, and it isn't like I'm going to be wringing it out on a daily basis.