Factory White - Single Stage or 2 Stage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXFJ60

Reaction score
I'm looking at an ex-gov 2500 Suburban that's out of state for me. It's white - the ad says "original factory clear coat". And there is in fact clear coat peeling in multiple locations just on the driver side. I always thought the white on these was a single stage - meaning that this one was repainted (at least on one side) at some point. Can anyone confirm? Were some of these actually painted with a 2 stage? It's a loaded LS model if that makes a difference.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
IIRC somewhere around the time the 400s were introduced, GM changed to basecoat/clear coat type paint. In my experience, we had a '90 square body Burb, with peeling clear coat and white basecoat (like so many of these have done). One of its previous owners had gotten the top repainted, so that was the best paint on it. We had a complete front clip from an 84-85 square body pickup, that was white, but it was the older style of paint (no clearcoat) and actually a different shade of white to boot.
I'm sure some of our members who do collision repair and paint could expound more on this....

packer0440

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think all GMT400s were Base-coat clear-coat regardless of color. Granted, the paint was not the greatest, but they were BC/CC nonetheless.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some came single stage, some were bc/cc, The rpo tags define it WA# 1234 etc with a definition lacquer base/enamel clear, enamel, etc. A three digit wa# more than likely single stage but there's no clear cut and dry methodology with the way gm handled it. Urethane paint was in it's infancy then so usually all enamels or enamel clear over lacquer basecoat. Working at a gm dealer at the time we were being told the delamination issue is due to the basecoat so it needs stripped off.

Last edited: